Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered telescope. What else?

Hi all

After much forum browsing, and reading many beginner’s questions covering the same topics that I needed answers for, I’ve finally ordered my telescope.  I settled on the Skywatcher dob’ 200p.  I also bought a few extras to get me started:

A Telrad, plus 4” Spacer

A Deluxe Chesire Collimating tool

A Collimating Cap

A BST 8mm Starfinder Eyepiece

I also intended on buying a red light torch, but the 4 that FLO sell all seem to be poorly regarded, so I held back.  Is there anything else that I shall need from the off, or do I have enough to be going on with?  Many thanks ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ande, sounds like you just need some "clear skies"  (we cannot buy those!)

Dont spend any more for now, get out there and enjoy your purchases. The book will be really useful!

See if you can make a "red light" torch for taking outside when you need to read the book so your pupils will not shrink too much when you refer to the book. Buy a cheap led "AA" torch and put several layers of red nail varnish on the lens to turn it red.

Alan

Excellent idea, thanks. That should save me a bob or two, I’ll try and raid my girlfriend’s handbag ?.  And I’ll definitely try and curtail anymore spending...

Totally agree with Alan.

You have the basics and will be able to enjoy some wonderful sights.

My advice from here on in would be only to buy what you need when you know why you are buying it and what you hope to be able to do with it that you can't do without it. This hobby can absorb vast amounts of money buying things that seem like a good idea at the time, but six weeks later leaving you wondering why you did.

Thanks both. I think I’ve limited my purchase to just the bare essentials, with the possible exception of the 8mm ep.  I’d read quite a few accounts of people being underwhelmed by the stock 10mm, and figured I’d “treat myself” ?

Enjoy your new telescope, you made a good choice, the 8" Newtonian has been respected by most amateurs for many years, and will prove quite adequate for your observation of many targets, planetary and galactic.  Any refinements to what you already have, will become apparent to you as your skills progress.     Be aware of a possible infection that may affect you later though.                        Many have suffered this deadly bug, it is commonly known as Aperture Fever, where the desire for a larger unit becomes intense.                                           In the meantime, make use of the fine instrument you have now ?.                       Best Wishes.

Haha ?. Thanks for the warning.  I had heard mention of this deadly bug before, but I already have the perfect cure.  A Fiat 500!!  I think I’m already pushing my luck with the scope I’ve ordered ?

My last order from FLO came in a lovely cardboard box.  They had put a special security seal over the box-door that said "Warning - May Contain Clouds"  Ho ho ho!  That gave me a good chuckle.

And it reminded me that you definitely need a sense of humour when setting out with astronomy.  There will be hurdles and frustrations but it's definitely worth it.  

I'd advise downloading  a planetarium app for your computer (I use stellarium).  It can really help plan your viewing sessions.  Also, you can set up an 'ocular view' in Stellarium to help visualise what size view you will get through a given eyepiece.  I suspect you may want a wider view eyepiece quite soon....  A 200p with 8mm eyepiece is quite a lot of magnification (x150?).  I'm sure I'd be looking for a 2" fit wide angle eyepiece to get 20x to 30x magnification.  (A) for star hopping to the target and (b) I find the wider views to be most pleasant

The things that I think you will need are probably things that you haven't even thought of yet:

1. Some sort of height adjustable chair so that you can comfortably sit at the eyepiece. I use an old drum stool I happened to have but you can also buy ironing chairs, musician's chairs, observing chairs or find schematics online to make your own observing chair.
  2. Warmer clothes. It gets really cold sitting/standing outside for long periods at night. The sort of things you would buy if you were going skiing will serve you well.

Hi ? I’ve already downloaded a couple of apps for my iPad that seem quite good.  I’ll have a peep at Stellarium. You’re probably right about the eyepiece suggestion, but I’ll hold fire just a little to have a play with what’s coming.  But a wide-angle does sound appealing ?

I’ve actually got a drum stool (and two drum kits), so I’ll deffo give that a try.  And some really warm clothing too.  Got a few chemical reaction pocket warmers if I can find them, from my paragliding days.  Think I should be okay ?

7 minutes ago, Ande said:

I’ve actually got a drum stool (and two drum kits), so I’ll deffo give that a try.  And some really warm clothing too.  Got a few chemical reaction pocket warmers if I can find them, from my paragliding days.  Think I should be okay ?

Sounds like you're all set then. :)

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

This hobby can absorb vast amounts of money

Boy is this statement so true it may as well be GOSPEL!! there's such a fine line between getting what you truly need, and, flat out buying a load of junk you will either never use, or just does not suit your scope period!.

32 minutes ago, Ande said:

I’ve already been researching 90 degree finders

Perfect example. What is this going to do for you that the telrad that you have purchased won't? Well, it gives you a magnified (ie smaller) field of view. So you might be able to see things in the finder that are a couple of magnitudes fainter than in the telrad. Do you need that? You will only know once you have got used to using the telrad. If you find you do need that, then you will be purchasing for a reason other than "someone said it would be a good idea". Remember, it is very easy for us to spend your money!

18 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Perfect example. What is this going to do for you that the telrad that you have purchased won't? Well, it gives you a magnified (ie smaller) field of view. So you might be able to see things in the finder that are a couple of magnitudes fainter than in the telrad. Do you need that? You will only know once you have got used to using the telrad. If you find you do need that, then you will be purchasing for a reason other than "someone said it would be a good idea". Remember, it is very easy for us to spend your money!

To be honest, I was thinking about my poor back.  In my mid-fifties now, and I just don’t seem quite as bendy as I once was ?

I use a telrad and a right angled correct image (RACI) finder with my 10" skyliner. The telrad gets you in the right area and then the finder for star hopping. The correct image makes such a difference when using star charts. The telrad will do just the same but you would need really dark skies to get the same effect. And my back really thanked me after trying to use the straight through. I got an altair astro 10x60 finder which is a great bit of kit.

You may find that you want to modify your dob to make it easier to use. A lazy susan bearing, setting circle and digital angle finder make all the difference and with the use of a good phone app give you a push to system.

Good advice re observing chair. I use an ironing chair and it makes all the difference when you can sit down and just spend some time looking at an object.

Thanks Tuckstar. Reassuring to know that you’ve found a right-angle beneficial. I don’t want physical discomfort to deter me from wanting me to get out there. I’ll bear the other equipment in mind for a later date, when, hopefully, I’ll have a clear picture of my needs ?

3 hours ago, Ande said:

To be honest, I was thinking about my poor back.  In my mid-fifties now, and I just don’t seem quite as bendy as I once was ?

I'm sure to get flamed for suggesting one, but I'm also in my 50s with a back that doesn't like contortions to look through a Telrad near zenith.  I added a green laser sight with a momentary power switch to my scopes.  It's really handy to blip it on, rapidly swing the scope onto the target, and release the switch.  I just make sure to scan the skies for approaching aircraft beforehand so as not to run afoul of the law.

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

Ta very much. As soon as I’ve acclimatised myself with all the new toys I’ll be sure to download them ?

Archived