NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

6" or 150mm Newtonian f5ish Dob Mounted anyone?

It is entirely possible, of course, but the eyepiece height will not be comfortable without an oversized rocker box or a riser. I had my 220mm f/5 (1089mm FL) on a dob mount initially and even that was low. I’m not aware of any commercial 6” dobs with reasonable EP height so you’re probably forced into diy territory. 

• 3 weeks later...

It could be a taller version of a normal Dob mount.  But the taller it gets, the more "shakiness" or instability it will tend to have.  It could certainly be done though, if you're handy with tools and DIY. 

One of the most "inspired" constructions I have seen was where a guy had built his own with a bottle jack for adjusting the height. 

The jack, a 3 tonne(!) capable one, was welded to a metal plate at the bottom, which had holes drilled to screw it to the dob mount turntable. Top of the jacks pillar was welded to a smaller plate which was screwed to the bottom of the dob rocker box. End result it worked and stayed steady enough, though never had its height raised by more than a foot. 

On 13 March 2018 at 18:46, Louis D said:

Orion (USA) has the Orion StarBlast 6 Astro Reflector Telescope.  It is an f/5 scope.

SW Heritage 150 Flextube is F5. As is the Bresser 6 inch F5 solid tube dob, that Harrisons sell. 

Both have the OTA on a single side rocker. The Bresser tube is in rings attatched to a dovetail which is what is attached to the rocker. Handy as OTA can go from dob mount to another type quickly & easily. 

Archived