Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horse head processing difficulty

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Agreed, pretty impressive. It would be nice to see the Flame find its true colour, which is a kind of orange-yellow unlike almost anything else in the sky. You have the blues and reds looking good.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'll have a look at that. I'm not sure if it's the cls filter doing that but seems to suppress some colours. 

Gerry

11 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Very nice. I am a rookie astronomer and currently own a starseeker 130. I'm wanting to get really serious into AP. I'm looking for a set up to view DSO. Such as the one you captured spending around 1500 for the scope and mount. 

7 minutes ago, Paboy46 said:

Very nice. I am a rookie astronomer and currently own a starseeker 130. I'm wanting to get really serious into AP. I'm looking for a set up to view DSO. Such as the one you captured spending around 1500 for the scope and mount. 

You wouldn't go wrong with a eq6 with either a Skywatcher 130pds or 150pds with dslr and guide scope and camera. I use the zwo 120mm (that should be just within your budget if you already have a dslr?) Works well for me but I would really like a Williams optics 61 for wider field and there is a lot to say for refractors (no collimation) easier to use out of the box.

Gerry 

7 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

You wouldn't go wrong with a eq6 with either a Skywatcher 130pds or 150pds with dslr and guide scope and camera. I use the zwo 120mm (that should be just within your budget if you already have a dslr?) Works well for me but I would really like a Williams optics 61 for wider field and there is a lot to say for refractors (no collimation) easier to use out of the box.

Gerry 

I did a lot of research which is confusing to me. I've looked at the Orion ed80 sirius mount or Orion sirius 8 inch eq but don't know if there enough scope for AP such as your photo or other DOS. I'm really scared of the mount since I've never used an eq mount. The polar alignment is very confusing to me since my starseeker doesn't have that mount and is very easy to use.any ideas would be a great help

14 minutes ago, Paboy46 said:

I did a lot of research which is confusing to me. I've looked at the Orion ed80 sirius mount or Orion sirius 8 inch eq but don't know if there enough scope for AP such as your photo or other DOS. I'm really scared of the mount since I've never used an eq mount. The polar alignment is very confusing to me since my starseeker doesn't have that mount and is very easy to use.any ideas would be a great help

Don't be intimidated by a equatorial mount. It's not hard at all and if you get one (which you absolutely need for AP) there is a whole bunch of videos on YouTube. You'll be fine 

1 hour ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Thanks 2 hours of subs of 360 seconds 30 flats and bias. 

Gerry

I'e Got SW200P auto guided with Orion Starshoot mini guider. Canon 650d. Mine came out surprisingly good but not as good as yours. Think I'll up subs from 300 secs to 360 :-)

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Agreed, pretty impressive. It would be nice to see the Flame find its true colour, which is a kind of orange-yellow unlike almost anything else in the sky. You have the blues and reds looking good.

Olly

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.4ec0302a682c9167f22203689640bada.JPG

Any better?

I think I've ruined the reds and blues now? 

Gerry

Just now, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Sorry Olly yes it's better or yes I've ruined the reds and the blues? Or both :) 

I had a go in lightroom. 

Gerry

Heh heh, Yes, the Flame is better. Sorry for not being clear!  I'll guess that you lifted the greens. I might now clip the green channel slightly or ease down its low brightnesses because a slight green tinge has invaded the dark parts. But try to keep the Flame as it is or even lift its greens slightly.

Olly

16 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Heh heh, Yes, the Flame is better. Sorry for not being clear!  I'll guess that you lifted the greens. I might now clip the green channel slightly or ease down its low brightnesses because a slight green tinge has invaded the dark parts. But try to keep the Flame as it is or even lift its greens slightly.

Olly

Yes your right I was so concentrating on getting the flame right I didn't look at the blacks. I'll have a go :) 

What about this. I've lowered the green

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.919cd3bfaff5241a72591189901e6e1d.JPG

Great image.

Your troubles with finding the right colour in the flame neb may very well be caused by your cls filter. As Olly noted, the flame is orange, and so is the light from sodium lamps.  The cls filter cuts that part of the spectrum which you need for this target. It's the "having and eating cake" dilemma.

Just now, wimvb said:

Great image.

Your troubles with finding the right colour in the flame neb may very well be caused by your cls filter. As Olly noted, the flame is orange, and so is the light from sodium lamps.  The cls filter cuts that part of the spectrum which you need for this target. It's the "having and eating cake" dilemma.

Ah yes, that does make sense.

Olly

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Great image.

Yes I was also convinced it was the filter. Yes I'm pretty happy with it. I tried at eating the cake :) yes as most will know these type of filters also affect the blues too because yellow filters block blue light also. As I'm using a full spectrum dslr I need to use a filter or I would need to buy a luminance filter but I'm not sure I would get the same benefits or at least not the same of subs.

Gerry

Archived