First attempt at narrowband with hyperstar

HunterHarling

I thought narrowband would not work well with hyperstar and an OSC camera but it seems amazing! 

This is 5 hours of 300second 12nm HA subs and 5 hours of 300second 12nm OIII subs takes with a QHY10 and hyperstar C8.

I merged my colors strangely but i suppose it is not too bad for my first narrowband image.

Thanks for looking!

5a97a5ea4a32c_TADpolesFINAL.thumb.jpg.a2662b3f07f3b6fe1561382b82ec6d09.jpg

Yes, it's very ... yellow :icon_biggrin: What was your color-mapping? I've been staring at it, trying to identify the object - is it the heart nebula? [apologies if I am way off - could be the color scheme]. You also seem to have some haloes around the bright stars. I'm sure someone will come along who will be able to help you with that.

That said, it is your first attempt, and it shows considerably more than my first NB image showed, with quite a bit of structure and some faint stuff too. A good start.

10 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

I've been staring at it, trying to identify the object - is it the heart nebula?

My guess is the tadpoles, ic 410. Colour mapping

Ha = r + g. Oiii = b?

Nice image. Colours can always be changed in a narrowband image.

I agree, the detail appears better on the fist (yellow) image. However, the second (red) image is more pleasing to my eye's.

But hey, it's NB. That's one of the great things with NB. One can make pretty pictures or detailed pictures. The choice is yours :)

I also use a OSC camera (Atik 4120EX) with my NB filters and I am impressed with the detail. 

You have lots of detail here. And to say its your first attempt. That's a great start.

Thanks for sharing.

Good start for a 1st attempt, far better than my mine. You have the data to create a really good narrowband image. Processing is an art and even more so with nb

Try a blend of :-

Red = Ha

Green = Oiii x 80% + Ha x 20%

Blue = Oiii x 85% + Ha x 15%

Steve

16 hours ago, ChrisEll said:

@HunterHarling I'm thinking about Hyperstar for my 8" SCT... how easy is it? Are you endlessly having to collimate? Is using a DSLR possible? Do you autoguide at all or just PEC playback? Thanks.

I have only collimated once so it seems to hold it pretty well. You cannot use a DSLR because it blocks too much aperture. I used an autoguider but PEC playback may be possible if you get a good PEC recording...

It is very fast though! I pick up very dim objects in 30 second exposures.

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

I have only collimated once so it seems to hold it pretty well. You cannot use a DSLR because it blocks too much aperture. I used an autoguider but PEC playback may be possible if you get a good PEC recording...

It is very fast though! I pick up very dim objects in 30 second exposures.

Hope this helps

Thanks, so is focusing difficult? Some ppl here have said it is. I see there's a modified Bahtinov mask for Hyperstar.

I notice you still needed 5min subs with NB even at f/2! That's probably the Bayer matrix getting in the way. What camera do you have?

I imagine f/2 can become very addictive :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Hunter,

Did you use Baader high speed filter for it, or normal filter 

Cos I also got hyper star system, my camera is the same as your one, QHY10, 

but I though only mono camera will work best for those filters, 

Thanks, 

15 hours ago, Wayne76 said:

Hi Hunter,

Did you use Baader high speed filter for it, or normal filter 

Cos I also got hyper star system, my camera is the same as your one, QHY10, 

but I though only mono camera will work best for those filters, 

Thanks, 

I used 12nm filters.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Great detail.. not too sure about the color tho....

I have long since given up on the color for this one. The Ha channel looks decent though... haaa.thumb.jpg.49d704a06071d019e5596bdecffa4b47.jpg

2 minutes ago, HunterHarling said:

The Ha channel looks decent though...

A lot of the times a grey scale image actually looks nicer than a color one... nothing to do with color balance, just the fact that some mono images have a more interesting/nicer appeal to them... another object I personally prefer in mono, is the Horsehead nebula.

7 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

I used 12nm filters.

I have long since given up on the color for this one. The Ha channel looks decent though... haaa.thumb.jpg.49d704a06071d019e5596bdecffa4b47.jpg

Then it should work, as long as it is more than 8nm, 

What brand is your lease, 

I am still waiting for my Baader high speed lense for over 6 month now....,

but I also heard that those lens only work best on the Mono camera,

what is your finding on that, 

When you have constructed the tricolour image you're perfectly at liberty, then, to adjust the curves independently on the channels. This might allow you to find more varied colour across the image. Both the colour versions are, with the channel curves as they stand, mostly monochrome colour with greyscale core. I think Curves would be the way to beat this.

Olly

Archived