NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar Photography Considerations

astroavani

rMOgvOJcAniZ_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

Lunar Photography Considerations
I will not talk about the craters themselves, Aristoteles and Eudoxus are more than known. I will talk about the factors that we should take into account to get a great photo.
Every high-resolution photographer who values himself knows that some things are essential to obtain a good result, among them we can mention: seeing acclimatization, collimation, focus, etc.
The first, in my opinion is the most important, but unfortunately, it does not depend on our will, and there is nothing we can do to improve without waiting for a good night. Others, however, depend exclusively on us!
Collimation is one thing we must take the utmost care in high resolution photography our telescope must always be well collimated. Most great imagers are always very worried about this issue.
Focus is another crucial factor, we must strive to achieve the best focused image possible. Some tricks make success bigger, are they; make multiple captures of the same object by altering the focus; use Fire autoalign option, this freezes the object in the center of the screen and facilitates the visualization because with shaking, the focus a true martyrdom in high increases. Needless to say, an electric focusing is as important an accessory as a good Powermate for those who make high resolution photography.
Since acclimatization is not always given the right amount, I can say that the difference between an acclimated telescope and a non-acclimated telescope is immense, especially for those who use large-aperture SCT. We all know that an SCT is a closed system and so it may take hours to acclimatize, a C14 for example, often does not acclimate all night. Even so from the 200mm aperture, whatever the optical system, this must be respected, in order to obtain only mediocre images.
So the next time you shoot the moon or the planets, think about it and learn, a good astrophotographer can only achieve a great result if he knows how to respect and take into account all these factors.
Text: Avani Soares
https://www.astrobin.com/full/334877/0/?nc=

Very good points, Avani.

What is Fire autoalign?  I would love to have something that doesn't shake the image all over the place every time I adjust the focussing!

Thanks.

And, of course, the image is wonderfully sharp and crisp as always - can almost feel the texture of the lunar surface.

22 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Very good points, Avani.

What is Fire autoalign?  I would love to have something that doesn't shake the image all over the place every time I adjust the focussing!

Thanks.

And, of course, the image is wonderfully sharp and crisp as always - can almost feel the texture of the lunar surface.

Hello Demon Performer!
The Freeware Fire capture has the possibility to activate "alinhamento automático" in the "Opções" window that causes the planet to be centered in the middle of the capture window. In it will appear 4 points, if they drift out you have to adjust for the planet to continue in the center. But the advantage is that it stops oscillating and this makes it much easier to get focus.

Clipboard01.jpg

Thanks for that, Avani. I waste so much imaging time trying to achieve correct focus - and even then I'm not sure I ever really achieve it. This looks really simple so maybe even I will be able to do it. Just to confirm my understanding: the 4 dots stay in the same relative positions to each other and they move as a unit until the centre of the 'square' is over the centre of the planet?

Thanks.

Wow what a great shot Avani, as a beginner doing astronomy but an experienced photographer, I totally understand how difficult to get the results like you are getting especially the focusing part of your write up as I was struggling with the focus on my telescope.

Eu tenho dificuldade com o Inglês, vou escrever em português e vc usa o tradutor Demon!

Sim os 4 postos permanecem na posição relativa uns aos outros. A distância entre os 4 varia conforme o tamanho do Roi.

Primeiro vc centraliza o planeta no campo, depois clica em auto alinhamento. O planeta irá congelar no centro do campo e os 4 pontos irão aparecer.

Conforme o planeta for derivando para fora do campo os 4 pontos vão mostrando isso, embora o planeta permaneça no centro campo.

Uma coisa é importante. Os 4 pontos não podem nenhum deles, sair fora do campo senão o planeta vai começar a desaparecer e você perderá a filmagem.

Os 4 pontos servem na verdade, para vc ir fazendo as correções no alinhamento sem que o planeta deixe o centro do campo.

A grande vantagem desse processo para o foco, é o planeta congelar e parar de pular, isso facilita muito a focagem se não temos focalizador elétrico.

Archived