NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

olympus 10x50 dps1 vs omegon nightstar 15x70

damian b

I am thinking about buying astro binoculars with a budget of €100.

I need help deciding which one:

Olympus 10x50 dps1, or

Omegon nightstar 15x70.

i want to use the bino's primarily for astronomy. I do also have a telescope, but i want binos also because its faster and easier to setup as they dont need to cool like my telescope. 

At first i send Astroshop an email asking for advise, while that was pending i found out the Olympus is a very good choice, but then i got a reply to my email recommending the Omegon, which made me doubt again:/

I had the Omegon NightStar 15x70 and enjoyed using it, although it is not the most robust pair of binoculars. Due to internal baffles they are really closer to 15x63mm, and they can get knocked out of collimation easily. When I got myself an upgrade to Helios Apollo 15x70s (which are WAY better), the bridge holding both EPs of the Omegon broke, and repairing that proved impossible, so now I have some spare lenses lying around should I want to make a couple extra 70mm finders.  Having said that, they showed me many nice sights, and they were certainly worth the money. I haven't used that particular type of Olympus 10x50, but the much older type my parents had was excellent. It will be a lot easier to hold steady, and also useful for birdwatching.

1 hour ago, damian b said:

At first i send Astroshop an email asking for advise, while that was pending i found out the Olympus is a very good choice, but then i got a reply to my email recommending the Omegon, which made me doubt again:/

Worth noting Omegon is Astroshop's own-brand label. 

As said earlier the BA-1 has been, and still is, sold under a variety of brands and they most definitely are not all the same.

Performance and specification can vary considerably from one brand to another and even, sometimes, from one batch to another!

Whichever brand/retailer you choose, I recommend you email them first to check the warranty and returns procedure. If you get a good one and treat it carefully (the BA-1 is not shock-proof) it will serve you well. 

I have no experience of the Omegon version. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Hi Damian, just thought I'd throw in a wild card. I won't go into the subject of exit pupil at this stage, but if you have young eyes your pupils should dilate enough to make good use of a pair of 11x70's such as these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/observation-binoculars/opticron-oregon-observation-70mm-binoculars.html

At 11x they should be ok hand held but will let in a lot of light, and will give a good field of view also. I had the 15x version and the Opticron Oregon is the best BA1 class bino I've looked through to date. 

They might be a good compromise between the two models you're looking at, plus the price is very right!

So i just ordered the Olympus 10x50 dps1. Now i just need to for it to get delivered, which should be tomorrow, but im not sure if i will test it tomorrow as i still have school the day after. So i hope to give it its first night out on friday, along with my 8" dob. If its not cloudy that is.

I will update you guys after its first night out, which might be a couple nights later if its cloudy.

Clear skies, Damian

Archived