Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV plossl and M42

mikeDnight

Attached is a rough sketch of M42 & 43, made on the 6/1/18 at 2215 ut.

I say its a rough sketch because I ummed and erred so long before doing it that I was chilled to the core. The actual view through the Televue 25mm plossl was just so nice that I spent the best part of an hour observing the entire sword region, which was encompassed well within the eyepieces field of view with room to spare, that the detail overwhelmed me. The sketch can only ever be thought of as a not very good interpretation of what was seen.Stars are only roughly placed!

The scope was a 100mm F7.4 refractor giving a magnification of X30 (25mm TV plossl) ((prism diagonal view)), S=2 Antoniadi, T=5.

2018-02-08 12.21.33.jpg

8 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Mike - I'm no expert, but that is a beautiful sketch. V impressed.

And James (Jabeoo): What do you mean - you sold your TV plossls?!!! It was because of you that I bought my TV plossls!!! 

Without derailing a sketch thread (which is beautiful) & therefore keeping it brief,  Instead of aperture fever I got FOV fever!  How I am over that & on the hunt for them again.  

11 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

This just makes me want my TV plossls back even more.......Stop teasing with this work of art. :)

Don't worry about it. It would make no difference to me if I was looking through the Lick refractor or a toilet roll tube, I could't sketch like that. :happy11:

I think there is always room for a few TV plossls even with a lot of widefield glass. There are times when I want to use a small simple eyepiece such as a plossl or an Ortho.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy by focusing on the things I could have done better. I wish I'd paid more attention to accurately positioning the stars, and also taken a little more care concentrating on the relative magnitudes, as some of the stars look a bit faint. But in my defence I was getting uncomfortably cold, so concentration wasn't what it should have been. ? Being warm makes everything much more fun! ?

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

That really is a lovely sketch Mike. Did you do the origami drawwing in pencil .

Yes, graphite pencil on white paper, then change the drawing to negative on my tablet. It's about as technological as it gets for me. I still struggle with the TV remotes! :icon_scratch:

Thanks for your kind appraisal! ?

I'd been observing the Sword region for about an hour from under a blackout hood/blanket, and over that time the immensity of M42 became more and more impressive. At times it almost looked as if the outer regions of the gas cloud were going to reach right round and touch. Dark adaption, even when observing from a light polluted, misty town can prove very beneficial. But it wasn't just the nebula that was impressive; it was the fact the 25mm TV plossl swallowed the entire Sword of Orion and more, yet the contrast and definition remained high, revealing subtle detail extending well away from the Trapezium region. The longer I looked the more detail seemed to come in and out of view. I think of the sketch as a stacked image of the extended visual view. I don't see it that way straight away, but the view builds up over time! :happy11:

Very interesting explanation of your technique Mike. I mainly sketch the Moon and Jupiter where changes in the light and planetary motion mean you have to be relatively quick. I must try slowing down on these extended targets. Thanks again Mike.

Archived