Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rosette-bicolor (Ha OIII)

Rodd

I liked my 7 sub Ha mono image of this target and needed something to shoot for the rare clear dark night last night.  The Moon would not rise until 1:00 or so and it was clear.  Since it would not be clear again for a week or more I did not want to start a new image as I am scheduled to switch cameras as soon as a necessary adapter arrives.  Since I already had the Ha channel, it seemed a no brainer to go for OIII of the Rosette.  At the very worst case, a few more hours will give me a complete SHO image.  I am not usually to thrilled with bicolor images.  I think I like this one the best that I have attempted.  I have included an enlarged crop of the leopard to show the details and sharpness.

TOA 130 with .7x reducer, STT 8300 with Astrodon 3nm filters

Ha: 9 30 min

OIII 11 30 min

LHOOFinal.thumb.jpg.7f4cb158796990b84001c3ce352f73b5.jpg

LHOOFinal-crop.thumb.jpg.2faf68ea8cc8cd89a0f99a8ee9ef5886.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodd, that is brilliant, what is your secret to getting the stars so perfect, there is OK and then there is good but yours has blown me away, is your secret the clear skies or excellent guiding from the mount?

5 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Fantastic Rodd. Love it. Makes me wonder why you're changing to the Asi with results like this.

Thanks Richard. Well--several reasons I want the 1600.  I want to add it--not getting rid of the 8300 mind you. Originally  I wanted to try the smaller pixels with the same FOV.  I am still wondering how that will manifest itself in an image. But mostI also   got it to use with the FSQ-106 at F3, which I can't due with the STT-8300 due to back focus distance of the self guiding filter wheel.  Very few cameras have smaller pixels with the same FOV. I want to try F3 because I am tired of needing weeks to complete a 15 hour image.  My goal is to complete an image in 1 night (6-8 hours).  Maybe 2 nights.  With the smaller piuxels at F3 I will be able to take pretty big widefiled images and maintain a pixel scale of less than 2.5 arcsec/pix.  I hope it works

Rodd

9 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

That's magnificent Rodd. Such extreme clarity and detail.  Those 3nm filters produce such lovely tight stars.

Thanks Peter.  I do like the 3nm filters.  I think the best part is the reduction of blue/magenta star halos.

Rodd

5 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Rodd, that is brilliant, what is your secret to getting the stars so perfect, there is OK and then there is good but yours has blown me away, is your secret the clear skies or excellent guiding from the mount?

Thanks John.  I think its a combination of the filters, very good guiding from a very competent mount (AP Mach1 GTO), and good focus.  I do not experience good seeing very often.  On the Cleardarksky forecast page I am lucky to get average seeing.  I think this data was collected during better than average seeing for me--especially the OIII.  Also, there might be a bit of processing in there too--little tricks and order of steps that I do in order to protect the stars.  My narrow band stars are always better than my LRGB stars for sure.

Rodd

13 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice indeed Rodd! 

Can I ask a favour please? Would you mind posting what your Ha and O-III frames looked like just before you combined them into the Bicolour version?

Here are the fits files.  These have just been integrated--nothing else has been done.  I lost a bit of FOV because I had to take the camera off the scope to unjam the filter wheel a few weeks ago and I can't ever seem to find the same angle when I re-attach it--and I have a camera angle adjuster too.  I don't have that nack yet, I suppose.  I was bummed, but proceeded to collect the OIII anyway.  Hopefully the Sii can be obtained without the same problem and then maybe I will reshoot the Ha--a couple clear nights is all it would take.

Ha-9-30min.fit

OIII-11-30min.fit

1 hour ago, MikeODay said:

Wonderful image Rodd - I love the colours and the details in the different layers in the nebula.

Thanks Mike.  A rare bicolor success for me.  Still looking forward to the SII though.

Rodd

3 hours ago, moise212 said:

Very nice, Rodd! Impressive details and such tight stars.

I do see around the midlevels some green-ish tint, it doesn't look plain bicolor.

Great image!

Thanks Alex.  I assigned the OIII to green and blue and the Ha to red.  I too see a greenish cast, very faint.  My guess is, though I am not really sure,  that there is an overlap of the OIII signal  in blue and green portions of the spectrum, allowing the greenish hue.  When one assigns Ha, or a portion of Ha, to the green channel, the image comes out purple--not green, because Ha is closer to the red end of the sprectrum

Rodd

What an amazing image Rodd. The leopard crop just shows how crisp the entire image is. One day I'm going to buy some more NB filters - I only have a 6nm Ha. I like shooting LRGB and Ha, but seeing NB images like this is making me think....

Cheers, Geof

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

What an amazing image Rodd. The leopard crop just shows how crisp the entire image is. One day I'm going to buy some more NB filters - I only have a 6nm Ha. I like shooting LRGB and Ha, but seeing NB images like this is making me think....

Cheers, Geof

Thanks Geof.  I like LRGB too, but my skies don't support it very well.  I find LRGB much more difficult to process due to LP gradients.  Narrow band is so much easier for me--almost need no calibration, where as LRGB needs very good calibration.  I like the structure detail of narrow band (Ha mostly), though I like the natural color palette of LRGB.  I am starting to get the hang of LRGB and mostly shoot narrowband when the Moon is past 50% 

Rodd

17 hours ago, Rodd said:

Here are the fits files.  These have just been integrated--nothing else has been done.  I lost a bit of FOV because I had to take the camera off the scope to unjam the filter wheel a few weeks ago and I can't ever seem to find the same angle when I re-attach it--and I have a camera angle adjuster too.  I don't have that nack yet, I suppose.  I was bummed, but proceeded to collect the OIII anyway.  Hopefully the Sii can be obtained without the same problem and then maybe I will reshoot the Ha--a couple clear nights is all it would take.

Ha-9-30min.fit

OIII-11-30min.fit

Thanks Rodd.

I mainly just wanted to see the intensity level of the OIII compared to the Ha, so this showed it perfectly.

ps - Your data is incredibly clean. Unlike my own DSLR NB data of the same object, which I will post eventually, once I manage to hit a colour scheme I like! lol

3 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Thanks Rodd.

I mainly just wanted to see the intensity level of the OIII compared to the Ha, so this showed it perfectly.

ps - Your data is incredibly clean. Unlike my own DSLR NB data of the same object, which I will post eventually, once I manage to hit a colour scheme I like! lol

Thanks Ciaran.  I look forward to your rendition.

Rodd

Archived