Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New eyepiece for new SCT 9.25

pblackwell

Hi folks, happy new year to all!

Recently upgraded to a Celestron AVX 9.25 (but haven't been able to use it yet because of the poor weather ?)

Im looking to buy a good high/mid'ish power eyepiece and have 2 in mind.

TeleVue 12.0mm Delos Eyepiece 1.25" or an Explore Scientific 82 degree Argon purged Eyepiece 11mm.

I believe with that scope I can't go higher power, although I can always try to Barlow it down to see.

My mid range eyepiece is a 15mm TeleVue Plossl which I think is brilliant and love it!

Any thoughts or suggestions guys?

Many thanks 

P

With an F 10 scope and a focal length of 2350mm I don't see why you could not go to at least a 10mm eyepiece and on really good nights even a bit beyond this. Targets like Saturn can often take X250 and the likes of Mars need this really and more to be able to see a great deal even at opposition..

I had all of the Delos range and all are excellent so whether you go for the 10mm or the 12mm, they are quality. The ExSc 11mm is one I have not used but many talk highly of this and with F10 would be a good choice as the slower scope is kind to edges of slightly lesser eyepieces, the TeleVue's will be sharp abd clean no matter what the scope speed. If you wish to stick with the TV brand consider the newer De-lite range as well, also a little cheaper. Personally I prefer the smaller FOV when looking at planets, if indeed that is what you would wish. All the older Meade range UWA 82 degree, which has the same elements as most of the ExSc range are good to in an SC scope, the 11mm is the odd one out as Meade didn't carry this.

I have the 12mm Delos and love it. However, in a C9.25 on a driven mount I would be equally happy with a narrower FOV at planetary/double star magnifications and save my money for wider AFOV EPs at longer focal lengths. Like Alan says, consider the DeLite series. I have the 7mm and it is wonderful. Even more comfortable to use than my Deloses.

The 11mm DeLite would be my vote, you can always barlow your 15mm Plössl for those once-a-year moments of perfect seeing.

If the OP is after high/mid'ish power, would the 12mm not be more in line with this? x235 or x300 are probably on the high side of what would be used regularly perhaps? x195 with the 12mm would be a more regularly used on a wider range of targets.

To a degree it depends if this is one and only eyepiece or if more will be possible. The scope is of course capable of more under the right conditions, it just depends how often those conditions occur.

Hi,

i have a C8, which I think is comparable. In terms of eyepieces, I am almost exclusively on Plössls and Vixen LVs. For mid to high magnifications I have a 15mm LV, then the old TeleVue 10.5mm Plössl (~200x). This last one is very sharp and appears more colour neutral than the LV, however, eye-relief is borderline for me as I am wearing glasses. I mostly use this for planets but also on planetary nebulae...

I like 50deg fov and only use a wider field for lower mags (40mm Celestron Axiom 70deg).

For those special nights with excellent seeing, I also have a 7.5mm Celestron Ultima (which is similar to a Plössl). I also use a 4mm Vixen LV for tweaking the collimation...

So, if I were to start again, I might go for SLVs all the way or if not wearing glasses maybe TV Plössls for high/mid mags and maybe a Panptic for wide field at low mags. Alternatively one could go for a budget option with Vixen Plössls, which seem optically very good as well... 

Hope this help!

Frank

On 27 January 2018 at 06:16, alan potts said:

With an F 10 scope and a focal length of 2350mm I don't see why you could not go to at least a 10mm eyepiece and on really good nights even a bit beyond this. Targets like Saturn can often take X250 and the likes of Mars need this really and more to be able to see a great deal even at opposition..

I had all of the Delos range and all are excellent so whether you go for the 10mm or the 12mm, they are quality. The ExSc 11mm is one I have not used but many talk highly of this and with F10 would be a good choice as the slower scope is kind to edges of slightly lesser eyepieces, the TeleVue's will be sharp abd clean no matter what the scope speed. If you wish to stick with the TV brand consider the newer De-lite range as well, also a little cheaper. Personally I prefer the smaller FOV when looking at planets, if indeed that is what you would wish. All the older Meade range UWA 82 degree, which has the same elements as most of the ExSc range are good to in an SC scope, the 11mm is the odd one out as Meade didn't carry this.

Archived