SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WiFi - need more signal.

Gina

5 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

I wasn't prepared to deal with having two SSIDs or devices reconnecting when I moved from the garden to the house. Your mileage may vary.

Have to say, I don't like the idea of having two WiFi access points running at the same time.  I think disabling the Wifi on the Genexis router and using just the one more powerful AP would be far more sensible.  Just my feeling.  And yes, I sometimes want to take a laptop from house to observatory.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already have a CAT6 cable to my observatory that I use for high speed image capture but my problem is that I don't want to add an Ethernet switch or a long Ethernet cable up the mast to my ASC.  Also, I don't want to run cables all over the house for other stuff (like WiFi 3D printers).  I would prefer to buy a good AP.

The Ubiquity Pro looks good but I'm not running dozens of devices so don't need the high capacity - I think the long rang version would probably be more suitable.
Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR 175.7 x 43.2 mm 2.4-5 GHz 802.11ac Dual-Radio Long Range Access Point - White

I think the "Lite" version may be skimping.  I like the gigabit speed at 5MHz on the LR version - I might even be able to do away with my CAT6 cable to the observatory if I got a 5M WiFi for that end.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Is it really that simple?  Do the Ethernet connectors work as input as well as output?

Yep. It's really that simple.

Here's the gotcha's - 

Turn off DHCP, other wise you'll have two DHCP servers on your network and everything will fight.

Make sure that you use only the block of ethernet ports on the back.   If you have a single seperate WAN port, don't plug anything into it.

Make sure that your wireless networks are on different channels.   You can use the same SSID, you'll have to use the same password and your devices will choose the device they want.  This is how mobile phone towers work.

Here's why.

The WAN port is on one side of an "ethernet bridge" the other ports are all on the other side.

The other ports are connected together using a switch, which includes the Wireless radio gear.   So they can all talk to each other.

I don't think I'll mess about with the BT HomeHub 4 without external aerial(s) but I think I have a Netgear and a TP-Link router and also think they may have aerials - have to see what I can find.  OTOH I don't mind spending a bit of money on an easy solution virtually guaranteed to work.

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

OTOH I don't mind spending a bit of money on an easy solution virtually guaranteed to work.

Ubiquiti all the way then. Plug it in, 5 minutes to configure, wave goodbye to WiFi coverage issues.

They do a "consumer" version that uses mesh radio. It's much more spendy, but it is good kit. https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/wifi-networking/ubiquiti-amplifi-hd-review-3663096/

I think that really is more than I want to spend :D

Do you agree that the long range Ubiquiti is the one to go for (assuming I don't want to spend hundreds of £££££s)?

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think that really is more than I want to spend :D

Do you agree that the long range Ubiquiti is the one to go for (assuming I don't want to spend hundreds of £££££s)?

That's the one that I use. When I had just the BT HomeHub (which is supposed to have one of the more powerful WiFi coverages) then reception was very flaky in my garden (and my garden ain't big). Using the WiFi extenders drove me nuts as they were flaky as hell. I put the Ubiquiti LR in and it's worked perfectly.  Even though I'm surrounded by neighbour's WiFi networks (I can usually see 10-15 SSIDs) the Ubiquiti blasts through the lot.

I'm slowly learning the lesson of Buy cheap, buy twice". No doubt you can cobble together multiple routers together, or make a router using an old PC and Linux, but the older I get the less interested I get messing about with such shenanigans. i just want solution to work well and consistently and without faffing about and rebooting the damn things every time I use them.

I have the same experience years ago with networked music streamers. I railed against spending the money that Sonos charge for their kit and spent years putting up with a succession of "cheap" alternatives that sometimes worked depending on the day of the week, or that needed constant messing with, or rebooting all the time. I eventually ponied up for a Sonos device. Took it out of the box, plugged it in, 5 minutes to configure and it worked perfectly. I now have three of the things!

I know its a bit late but

1. As you have already paid some Org you should have complained and stated it was "not fit for purpose" (the purpose being to replace BT router so you would expect the same level of service). Saying if you have to buy extra hardware to get what you already had with BT Router then you expect a reduction else you will go else where without penalty - as is your right.

2. SSID's can be altered so that there are all the same and so long as the password and security type is the same on each (WPA2 etc) then you will just be "roaming" and shouldn't notice the change from one AP to another. So long as you can change the SSID's which is the norm.

3 Putting the BT router next to the new router is not a good idea they will interfere with each other unless you restrict the channel numbers - messy. Plus as some quite rightly says you would have to switch off DHCP on one of the routers.

4. It would be better  to switch off the wireless on the new router and leave the wireless handling to the BT router if you decide to go that route

5. I use something like this is "repeater" mode https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Repeater-300Mbps-WiFi-Signal-WiFi-Range-Extender-Router-Booster-Sky-Wps/262988113196?e which just uses the existing signal and boosts it - so you just need to place it "half way" to increase the signal. This device can work in AP or Repeater mode - I have some in AP mode (in the Obsys) but in this mode it requires a wired connection. All are on the same SSID/password - no problems.

BUT you shouldn't have to pay for something you already had - I would have gone after the provider ! - too late maybe now - still worth a try to see if they would give you a reduction especially if you replace their router and are willing to send it back.

Another provider was not an option if I wanted decent broadband.  And a different router is also not an option as my optical fibre (FTTP) supplied by Gigaclear will only work with that router.  Many people have complained about this but have got nowhere.  Gigaclear provide ultra-fast BB up to 1Gb/s to the premises and supply that router and no other will work with their system.  I'm not a fibre optics expert so can't argue.  Maybe if enough customers complain they might do something but in the meantime it's just a case of "take it or leave it".  That's a choice of 2-3Mbps download and 0.3Mbps upload as compared with symmetrical speeds of anywhere between 50Mbps and 1Gb/s depending on how much you want to spend on their service.  I'm on the lowest 50Mbps (both ways) and that is a revelation compared with BT's copper wires.

Gigaclear allow any compatible Fibre router to be used - or so it says on he Web site.

Option 1: Independent Installation

Some of our Gigaclear customers connect their homes to the ultrafast fibre network independently – it’s that easy and of course there is no additional cost to do so. We will provide you with an instruction guide and your independent kit, which includes the router and cables and other accessories items.

That router is the one I've got and yes, I did do my own installation.  Several of us have contacted Gigaclear to see if it's possible to use another router and they replied that the Genexis router was specially adapted to operate with their system and that attempting to use any other router would invalidate the contract.  I'll see if I can find any of their replies.

Just now, Gina said:

That router is the one I've got and yes, I did do my own installation.  Several of us have contacted Gigaclear to see if it's possible to use another router and they replied the the Genexis router was specially adapted to operate with their system and that attempting to use any other router would invalidate the contract.  I'll see if I can find any of their replies.

If they are providing fibre to the premises then they will need a fibre capable router. however you should be able to hang any Wireless Access point of it to improve the WiFi coverage.

4 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

If they are providing fibre to the premises then they will need a fibre capable router. however you should be able to hang any Wireless Access point of it to improve the WiFi coverage.

Thats the point why should  Gina have to do that - she is paying premium payments for FTTH and if they restrict kit that can connect to the Fibre (i.e. the Genexis router ) then they should  sort out their "Customers" problem with their kit - they have the clout with Genexis router provider.

If they have a Facebook page maybe Gina and he others could start "shouting" about the poor quality and poor customer awareness - at least it might warn others and maybe hit the providers pocket - always a good motivator.

Especially as the BT router (any version) is not that strong on Wifi (esp 2.4GHZ) itself so the Genexis kit must be poor.

Could try contacting Genexis manufacturer as well in case there is a "setting".

As Gina says others have the same problem https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=95&t=1569590&i=100 but I note "the Engineer" says he has made a note of the problems and recommended a replacement make !!!!! Wonder if hey go one  :-)

Reading through the User Facebook and Moneysavingexpert blog and others its clear,IMHO, Gigaclear are doing things on a "tight budget" while I would be the first to except FTTH/FTTP etc is newish to the general consumer they to come up with an excuse "we don't have the clout" is both worrying and laughable (its not).

I have great sympathy for you and other Gigaclear customers.

You might have to "bite he bullet" and set up your own AP network.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

Gigaclear provide ultra-fast BB up to 1Gb/s

That certainly is ultra-fast ... I thought I was doing well with 200 Mb/s ... might look into this for when my virgin contract comes up for renewal (everything I have is "plugged in", so wifi issues would not be a problem).

Archived