Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m78

alacant

Hi everyone. Really struggling with this one. I needed a heavy de-noise; other areas of the sky need much less. The whole field seems awash with dust. This is either side of the meridian, about 2 1/2 hours total. It's right on the equator too which doesn't help the guiding. Dunno, is another 2 1/2 hours gonna make much difference? I get the feeling I've reached the limit of what the camera can do.

Cheers, clear skies and thanks for looking.

700d + nt150s

78.thumb.jpg.1a11b55021fbd6e66e8690c4f12edfb8.jpg

Nice work... 

I feel your pain about the feeling where you might have imaged something that reached the sensitivity of your DSLR... I experienced this with the Dragon Head nebula... 8 hours and 37 hours of subs only made a marginal difference in nebulosity, so I dare say that my modded 40D has reached it limit with the object.

51 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

exposure length/iso are you running?

3 minutes, 800. With the histogram so far left, I'm thinking fewer but longer frames maybe better. 

20 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

details on the instruments used?

It's a Canon 700d on the smaller one of these 150mm Bresser reflectors.

IMG_20170719_101454.thumb.jpg.40562565640f19a1d8285848aa154e94.jpg

31 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I dare say that my modded 40D has reached it limit

Yeah, thanks. I'm feeling that way too although I think it's worth another session if only to convince myself I've reached the dslr limit. I wonder if I'd do any better with a dedicated osc?

29 minutes ago, alacant said:

Yeah, thanks. I'm feeling that way too although I think it's worth another session if only to convince myself I've reached the dslr limit. I wonder if I'd do any better with a dedicated osc?

Reaching the spectral limit of your DSLR on one object doesn't meant that it'll be at the limit on another... either way... reaching the limit of a piece of equipment is actually a achievement....

A dedicated cooled camera will be more sensitive and the next step up... I'm actually contemplating on getting the ASI1600 MM-C but before I do, I'll try adding a peltier cooling system to my 40D and see where that leads me.. surely it'll improve sensitivity and noise will be minimal comparing to now.

11 hours ago, alacant said:

How dark are your skies? It might be worth trying longer subs on this target.

On 22/1/2018 at 23:03, laser_jock99 said:

20 minutes

Phew, yeah. Far superior. I'm gonna have a go at 10 minutes. Without using the CLS, that's the longest I think I'll get here.

EDIT: High cloud/haze and the moon didn't allow me much over 4 minutes last night. Maybe should have waited until the moon had set... Here's another hour anyway. Do I notice a touch of red? 

Cheers, clear skies and thanks for your comments.

78_4h2.thumb.jpg.7c5a8e3267f667da202366f903a0618b.jpg

9 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

Is this one of your fast F4 Newts

Hi. No. Unfortunately not. I sent the GSO f4 back; it had too large a secondary and wouldn't come to focus with a dslr:(

13 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

extra data is starting to show

Yes. I'd like to think so. But 4 hours, and still only this?!

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. No. Unfortunately not. I sent the GSO f4 back; it had too large a secondary and wouldn't come to focus with a dslr:(

I still can't figure out why that scope didn't work for you? The F4 makes a huge difference in data vs exposure times.

A single 180s sub of M78 with my GSO 6" F4- in focus and picking up the faint stuff!

38904960975_68c0e09ee7_b.jpg

20 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

still can't figure out why that scope didn't work for you?

There was not enough outward movement to bring a dslr to focus. I see that TS now offer a modified version which has a sensible sized secondary further from the primary which allows a (equally sensible) dslr focus position. But charge three times as much for it!

Still looking for a 150 f4 for a sensible price which works.

Cheers, and clear skies.

Archived