NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reality has kicked in

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Once you have your stack what processing software are you using.

Ideally use the autosaved fits file and if you can't open that change the autosave setting to use tiff.

i only have cs2 Photoshop with Annie's astro actions

well pretty much the same outcome saved the image with 3 options

1 16bit tiff no adjustment

2 16bit tiff with 20%saturation no adjustment 

3 16bit tiff no saturation with adjustment 

the outcome still pretty bland image the only way to pull colour out is using the hue and saturation tab in cs2 

ethier is cs2 is not up to processing or its just me when using the hue and sat it just looks a blown out mess..

As commented previously use the autosaved file, if you cannot open the fits file use the autosave tiff option.

If you put z link to your drop box of the autosaved tiff file I will have a fiddle.

I would suggest you get the new book Dark Art of Magic bullet it walks through processing steps and much of what is covered I am finding I can do in PaintShopPro so I expect you will find you can do a lot in your program.

35 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

As commented previously use the autosaved file, if you cannot open the fits file use the autosave tiff option.

If you put z link to your drop box of the autosaved tiff file I will have a fiddle.

I would suggest you get the new book Dark Art of Magic bullet it walks through processing steps and much of what is covered I am finding I can do in PaintShopPro so I expect you will find you can do a lot in your program.

i have a dropbox account but only looked at the sharing option do i need your email  to allow you access?

I couldn’t” get meaningful colour from my DSS files using GIMP 2.9 until I changed the save routine I used. In DSS I apply 20% saturation, then align the RGB histograms near the start of the upslope on the curve then save as 16bit tiff with adjustments applied rather than embedded.

There‘s usually obvious colour when the files are opened in GIMP. Can’t see why CS wouldn’t be able to show the same.

There  may be a better way, but if this is what worked for me.

20 minutes ago, catburglar said:

I couldn’t” get meaningful colour from my DSS files using GIMP 2.9 until I changed the save routine I used. In DSS I apply 20% saturation, then align the RGB histograms near the start of the upslope on the curve then save as 16bit tiff with adjustments applied rather than embedded.

There‘s usually obvious colour when the files are opened in GIMP. Can’t see why CS wouldn’t be able to show the same.

There  may be a better way, but if this is what worked for me.

going to try using the 20% saturation tiff many say dont use dss for any processing but after thinking about all the attempts i have tried it could be purely down to light pollution so a kickstart in some saturation for colour may be needed, when i get a clear sky spell again im going to drive up a place called Snowdonia as they have true dark skys and repeat what i did in my back garden 

28 minutes ago, artoleus said:

ok go ahead then. It's your computer, you obviously  know better.  

Gents, please play nicely. If you need to disagree, please do so courteously and do not derail the thread.

Thank you :) 

I manage our companies IT infrastructure, I'm responsible for the security, I'm also Project leader for our ISO27001 and have written the documentation for our ISO. I have reviewed various types of programs including archiving programs as part of our periodic risk assessment.   Winrar would not be recommended as there are too many targeted malware approaches that use it. 

Back to the topic,  for my D3300 nef files I found it easier to convert to dng files first using DNG converter. 

I'd also recommend trying stacking in photoshop. You can get quite  good results and it helps to understand the process. Their are plenty of YouTube videos explaining the process.

14 hours ago, Wirral man said:

you may have just made my day i will try this approach tomorrow night after work as gettimg late for me tonight, will let you know how I get on bud thanks.john 

nope not working for me starting to give up!  at this rate my gear will be in the classifieds

With only two files it is very noisy but there is colour. A quick process in StarTools then resized and saved as png for here. With more data the satellite trail would go in stacking. binned, cropped, wipe and I tightened the main star shapes and equalised the colour. I did zero adjustment in DSS.

Autosave001_fts.thumb.png.2a3dca06af80bac8e733c1b5fb8448c1.png.

Tomorrow I will do a quick process in PaintShopPro v7 as it is the oldest version I have on this W10 disc, I will need to sort out fits liberator first though so can read the fits file. I am only a little further along the path then you so don't lose hope just knuckle in there and keep trying.

Have run it through ACR and there is no problem with colour, it's in there just needs to be bought out.

Unfortunately the lens is a bit of a dog, bad abberations, some obvious vignetting and something going on in the centre as well.

DSC_0008test.jpg.46e5b01968a720519158a18ac02bc3c4.jpg

8 hours ago, happy-kat said:

With only two files it is very noisy but there is colour. A quick process in StarTools then resized and saved as png for here. With more data the satellite trail would go in stacking. binned, cropped, wipe and I tightened the main star shapes and equalised the colour. I did zero adjustment in DSS.

Autosave001_fts.thumb.png.2a3dca06af80bac8e733c1b5fb8448c1.png.

Tomorrow I will do a quick process in PaintShopPro v7 as it is the oldest version I have on this W10 disc, I will need to sort out fits liberator first though so can read the fits file. I am only a little further along the path then you so don't lose hope just knuckle in there and keep trying.

thanks for the efforts!! so its me then i need to learn photoshop and how to use layers etc..

Archived