NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can an IT person explain this please

PeterCPC

Firstly I'm not sure that this is the correct place to post.

However, I had an HP laptop that had failed (graphics) and removed the hard drive (2.5" SATA 500GB). I thought that I would put this in a case to use as an external hard drive. I formatted it (NTFS) but it says that it's only 1.5GB!!

Could somebody tell me where the other 485GB have gone? Thanks.

Peter

Are you sure you formatted the main partition and not the system partition before it?

think i would delete all partitons on the drive from computer msnager didkmsnaget and then start again

Yeah, it seems like you have formatted the recovery partition... if you have a look at a partition manager like the Disk manager in Adminstrative tools in windows or something like Hard Disk utilities by Paragon, or similar, you will perhaps find a unpartitioned area of the HDD, and that's where your missing storage is.

25 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I looked in disk management and found this

so what do I do now?

Peter

Capture.PNG

Delete the E: 1.55Gb partition, than the whole drive will be 700gb (more or less) of Unallocated space... right click and create a new partition....that will create a single partition the full size of the HDD, than format as normal.

20 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

None of that makes sense if it is a 500gb drive as you have nearly 700gb unalloctaed...!,!, so the drive is NOT a 500gb drive, it must me a 750gb at a guess...??

That is the C drive, not the one in question, however, well done Peter for sorting out the problem.

Archived