Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon banding becoming over powering.

Nige, didn't see your post before submitting the reply above. Do you have any details on what you did regarding luminance layer jiggery pokery to reduce it?
I've got the astro tools set and it helps a bit, but not much. Pretty gutted really as this is on 60 second subs, I can't really go much lower than that before it all becomes not worthwhile doing :(

Should add - I'm not guiding (yet) so the only dithering I can do is the one in NINA that the direct guider option allows. Not sure there is a way to control the dither amount on that though.

Edited by edarter

On 24/04/2020 at 16:26, edarter said:

yeah got that toolset already. It helps to some extent but not great really. Thanks for the suggestion though. Would still be curious to know how to reduce it with a luminance layer as suggested above.

The lum channel was taken with a Canon clip in Ha filter. I layered this with the colour data in Star tools layers module. 

• 8 months later...

Interesting thread I seem to be encountering banding on my recent images which I never had an issue with when using my old modded 350d now using an unmodded 450d and got some banding on my last set of subs 60 at 50 sec each and ISO of 1600 only stacked with 20 darks so maybe more calibration frames will help but to be honest I am getting fed up with dslr cameras and all the issues of dealing with noise all the time. I've stretched his image of Casper the friendly ghost nebula to show the  banding that's going on I've not really encountered this issue before so hope its not going to become a bug bear with this canon 450d and will defiantly be adding more darks if that is helping. Sigh there is always something in this hobby to drive you mad.

image.png.a408cd6c72959791357140408f3b2436.png

7 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

I don't know if it's mentioned earlier in this thread but;

If you're using PixInsight, there's a script which removes the banding. It's under Scripts > Utilities > CanonBandingReduction. ;) 

There is and I find it works tolerably well. I use a 450D and see banding with that. The amount varies session to session, and I have never been able to pin down the conditions in which it occurs.  I didn’t find taking darks reduced banding. I also have a pathological dislike of taking darks when I could be taking lights. My time imaging under the stars is little  enough without wasting a huge fraction of it taking pictures of nothing. So I take more subs and dither. 

As described in Warren Keller’s book inside Pixinsight, the Canon banding reduction script is best applied to subs individually before they are stacked. The batch processing method in PI makes this very much easier. I find any residual banding is usually removable at the processing stage. 

On 16/01/2021 at 23:48, Quatermass said:

Interesting thread I seem to be encountering banding on my recent images which I never had an issue with when using my old modded 350d now using an unmodded 450d and got some banding on my last set of subs 60 at 50 sec each and ISO of 1600 only stacked with 20 darks so maybe more calibration frames will help but to be honest I am getting fed up with dslr cameras and all the issues of dealing with noise all the time. I've stretched his image of Casper the friendly ghost nebula to show the  banding that's going on I've not really encountered this issue before so hope its not going to become a bug bear with this canon 450d and will defiantly be adding more darks if that is helping. Sigh there is always something in this hobby to drive you mad.

It's very annoying and frustrating, it would seem that not all Canon's suffer with banding, I know some people who have the same camera's as me who do not have the problem, unfortunately both my 1200 & 1300 do. I eventually saved enough money to by a dedicated astro camera, the relief of good quality bandless data was truly uplifting. Since I have sold my ZWO OSC and now have mono and filters I do still use the Canons from time to time for a quick OSC grab, but am quickly reminded of banding. There's plenty of ways to tackle the banding shown in previous comments, and still very good astro images taken.

Sometimes darks would work but not always, Star tools V1.7 has some excellent new features to help with horizontal and vertical banding in the wipe module.

Good luck and hang in there :) 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2021 at 08:45, Ouroboros said:

There is and I find it works tolerably well. I use a 450D and see banding with that. The amount varies session to session, and I have never been able to pin down the conditions in which it occurs.  I didn’t find taking darks reduced banding. I also have a pathological dislike of taking darks when I could be taking lights. My time imaging under the stars is little  enough without wasting a huge fraction of it taking pictures of nothing. So I take more subs and dither.

You don't need to take darks for every session. Before modding it for cooling, I took three sets of darks for each exposure length I used with my 450D - one set each for warm evenings >10C, cool 0-10C and cold <0C.

Their impact on image quality was dramatic.

Even to get a set of 12 5-minute darks is only an hour, which could be at the end of an imaging session while you pack up and get ready for bed, and you don't have to repeat it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I did that for quite a while. I had a darks library with dark shots saved in order of chip temperature.  After a few tests I decided they didn’t make much if any difference. Sometimes they made things worse. So I stopped using them.  Dithering and better processing in PI seemed to give me satisfactory images. 

• Like 1