NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop

I managed with that for years, but once I got into mono imaging and an EFW I needed my 3rd USB, Hubs don't work for me, everything keeps pinging and disconnecting.  I have tried 3 different hubs, all powered, then some-one kindly sent me a superdooper Hub which worked for one session and then blew, I am trying to find some-one to take a look at it for me.  So when I added a dual rig I added a 2nd laptop.

Carole 

12 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Guide camera, mount, DSLR, so get a powered USB hub and connect to the laptop... :)

Mount? I wont control it with eqmod, only phd2 for guiding, i fought that i connect the guide cam to laptoo and than guide can to mount via st4, why i have to connect mount to laptop? Uh im confused

15 minutes ago, carastro said:

I managed with that for years, but once I got into mono imaging and an EFW I needed my 3rd USB, Hubs don't work for me, everything keeps pinging and disconnecting.  I have tried 3 different hubs, all powered, then some-one kindly sent me a superdooper Hub which worked for one session and then blew, I am trying to find some-one to take a look at it for me.  So when I added a dual rig I added a 2nd laptop.

Carole 

Its look like they can be very buggy

5 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

Mount? I wont control it with eqmod, only phd2 for guiding, i fought that i connect the guide cam to laptoo and than guide can to mount via st4, why i have to connect mount to laptop? Uh im confused

You only need to connect the mount to the laptop if you're using pulse guiding as opposed to ST4.

Dave

Depends which guide camera you get.  I have a QHY5 and it has a USB port and a guide port.  With the ST4 cable I connect one end to the QHY5 and the other end goes into the guide port on the HEQ5/NEQ6.  Then the USB cables joins the QHY5 to the laptop.

If you get a guide camera that does not have a guide port you'll probably need extra USBs so in your case that is best avoided. 

HTH

Carole 

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Depends which guide camera you get.  I have a QHY5 and it has a USB port and a guide port.  With the ST4 cable I connect one end to the QHY5 and the other end goes into the guide port on the HEQ5/NEQ6.  Then the USB cables joins the QHY5 to the laptop.

If you get a guide camera that does not have a guide port you'll probably need extra USBs so in your case that is best avoided. 

HTH

Carole 

What about the QHY5R-llc?

What about the QHY5R-llc?

I am not familiar with that guide camera, but it looks like it is a colour camera, it is better to get a mono camera for guiding as it is more sensitive and will make guiding and finding a suitable guide star much easier. 

This is the back of a QHY5 showing the two ports you will need.

QHY5 back.jpg

Just now, carastro said:

I am not familiar with that guide camera, but it looks like it is a colour camera, it is better to get a mono camera for guiding as it is more sensitive and will make guiding and finding a suitable guide star much easier. 

This is the back of a QHY5 showing the two ports you will need.

QHY5 back.jpg

The left connect with st4 to mout and right with usb to pc?

24 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I use a QHY 5-11 colour guide cam. The ST4 port connects to the guide port of the mount and the power connects to the laptop via USB.

Peter

https://www.tavcso-mikroszkop.hu/termek/alccd-qhy5r-iic-vezeto--es-bolygokamera

This one?

What you think about this? I think you can auto translate the site

Other than it being colour it looks fine.  Colour will work, but it doesn't see many stars in comparison to a Mono camera, therefore it makes it more difficult, as you'll need to make sure you can manipluate the guidescope to find a star bright enough for it to see.  

A mono camera would make your life a lot easier.  See if there is a mono version of it.

Carole 

10 minutes ago, carastro said:

Other than it being colour it looks fine.  Colour will work, but it doesn't see many stars in comparison to a Mono camera, therefore it makes it more difficult, as you'll need to make sure you can manipluate the guidescope to find a star bright enough for it to see.  

A mono camera would make your life a lot easier.  See if there is a mono version of it.

Carole 

There is a mono, 60€ more than color, as i readed the comment with the linked camera the person say that he always had a guide star in the field, but i know that mono is better but more expensive

9 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

When pulse guiding the camera connects to the laptop  and then the laptop to the mount via a cable to the handset..my camera (Skyris doesn't have a guideport)

I'd have a mono over a colour camera personally

Well, first i will do just unguided with neq5 or heq5 with 130/650 PDS and than i will add guiding later :)

Archived