NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Went to try and grab the pup

Ibbo!

Last 2 nights I have tried and failed to get the pup visually.

Try one - C11 and 16 & 7mm eyepeice (skywatcher Nirvana and a 20mm type 2 nagler for the moon and M42 and other bits and bobs))

Try 2 - 8" Meade SCT with same eyepeices.

To start with lets say I am well out of practice with the mark1 eyeball.

Both scopes had been sat out on the mount for a minimum of 3 hours (more like 4).

I had a tweak of the collimation on both.

I have positioned the mount so when it trnsits I have a gap in the houses 300 meters away and avoid my garage roof.

Now to the problem I know Sirius is seriously bright and low down from here about 20° max above the proper horizon, I am getting a flare of sirius - blue through yellow to red.

Is this down to the seeing ,altiude collimation, eyepeices or the diagonal or anything else anybody can think of.

At first I thought this was a tail of woe story....

"Went to try and grab the pup......  noticing the lead was wrapped around the leg of my tripod, but the little rascal went dashing off down the lane taking the Tak TOA 150 and the full set of Ethos' with it.   What a scamp, just wait til I get........"

It's about Sirius B isn't it....

@Ibbo!

You may have better luck with the 11" in the New Year when you can pick up Sirius at its highest in twilight. Sirius will not be so overpoweringly bright then but the aperture will still be enough to reveal the Pup. Good seeing at the time will still be essential.    :icon_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Ibbo! said:

I will carry on trying then.

I am guessing no filters will help.

Not one I've ever managed myself, but I have red about a red filter being used to reduce the glare and show the Pup. If you search for 'pup red filter' on the forum it shows  number of comments, here is one from Chris (chiltonstar)

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Not one I've ever managed myself, but I have red about a red filter being used to reduce the glare and show the Pup. If you search for 'pup red filter' on the forum it shows  number of comments, here is one from Chris (chiltonstar)

Although i was reading that thread I missed the deep red bit .

Thanks Stu

Archived