NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Binocular Advice

Doug64

Hi,

I wish to upgrade my binoculars as I've been using a cheap pair of 10 x 50s.

I have around £250 to spend but could push to £300 or therabouts for the correct pair.

I'm not sure if I should be looking for 10 x 50s, 8 x42s, 10 x 42s and if I should go with ED glass or not.  I want to use them mainly for astronomy when I travel abroad so they will be mainly handheld with the occasional use of a monopod and tripod and sometimes i'll use them for daylight use.

I was initially looking at the Pentax 10x50s for £149 but got some extra money at Christmas so not sure if I can get better for the extra money.

Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Doug

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Before I bought my Swarovskis I used to have a pair of Hawke 10x43 Ed Frontiers and I was really impressed by them. I handed them down to my wife so she has a good pair of bins when we go birding.

Take a look at the link:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/hawke-binoculars/hawke-frontier-43mm-open-hinge-ed-binoculars.html

Thanks for the recommendtion, I'll take a look.

Doug

I favour my 8x40 Helios nature sport's with their 8° view, more than adequate for browsing the heavens, easily hand holdable, and even better mounted for that crisp sharp image. 
My present 15x70's don't provide much in the way of  planetary detail and in all probability, neither will the newer Oberwerk Ultras, so yea! I'm still  thinking that I would would like to spend a small fortune on some new binoculars,  but would they get more use than my 8x40's, probably not, well not for astronomy!
I'll just keep on contemplating the dilemma for a while longer........do I want them , Yes. Do I need them yes/no?

Binoculars don't need to cost a fortune to have good results, but they do need to feel comfortable and provide a satisfactory image.

Whatever you choose, our sponsor is presently selling some stock at reduced prices so you might bag a bargain.

1 hour ago, Charic said:

I favour my 8x40 Helios nature sport's with their 8° view, more than adequate for browsing the heavens, easily hand holdable, and even better mounted for that crisp sharp image. 
My present 15x70's don't provide much in the way of  planetary detail and in all probability, neither will the newer Oberwerk Ultras, so yea! I'm still  thinking that I would would like to spend a small fortune on some new binoculars,  but would they get more use than my 8x40's, probably not, well not for astronomy!
I'll just keep on contemplating the dilemma for a while longer........do I want them , Yes. Do I need them yes/no?

Binoculars don't need to cost a fortune to have good results, but they do need to feel comfortable and provide a satisfactory image.

Whatever you choose, our sponsor is presently selling some stock at reduced prices so you might bag a bargain.

Thanks for reply.

I've seen the sponsor sale but still not sure if I should get ED binoculars and the magnification us confusing as some people say get 10x50s, others  say get 10x42s and others say get 8x43 for wide field views.  

I've been looing at the Hawke Frontier 8x42, Hawke Sapphire 8x42 and Celestron Granite  10x42, all ED glass in the sponsors sale and the Pentax 10x50s as recommended without ED glass

Doug

Nothings ever straight forward, otherwise we'd all own the same binoculars?

When it comes to hand holding binoculars, everything you look at is magnified by the first number against what your own eye will see.
So if the binocular says 10x50 then what your seeing is effectively 10 times closer, but now factor in ten times the shake/motion imparted from  your hands whilst trying to observe, and if you then go to 15x or 20 times it gets worse,  the magnification increases, the view narrows and the bins get heavier, unless you steady the binoculars (tripod, monopod, wall, car roof, anything solid that you can rest the bins on or rest your arms holding the bins).

So finding something thats comfortable to hold for a period of time is a good start, mounting them for longer periods of use.
The objectives, the fat end of the binoculars, need to be large(er) for low light levels in order to capture as much light as possible, more light, greater the detail, but all this extra glass adds to the weight and the cost, then stick a  super brand name and your wallet feels much lighter all of a sudden.

If I were to buy some new binoculars today, the same magnification as my present 15x70's, yes they would be better constructed, may have better coatings, be impervious to dewing, weigh as much as several bags of sugar, and more expensive, but the more I think about it today( the less I need the Oberwerks just now.

Trial and error maybe the way to go. The only binoculars I recall to fail for me, after several years of testing, were a pair of Nikon 10x50's,  they did not fit the face (something I had not come across before!) looked cheap inside, or missed quality control, and had no warranty card for UK. I sold these, the new owner loved them.

This site...........  http://binocularsky.com/  is owned and regularly updated by one of our regular contributors, plenty of good advice there. 

1 hour ago, Charic said:

Nothings ever straight forward, otherwise we'd all own the same binoculars?

When it comes to hand holding binoculars, everything you look at is magnified by the first number against what your own eye will see.
So if the binocular says 10x50 then what your seeing is effectively 10 times closer, but now factor in ten times the shake/motion imparted from  your hands whilst trying to observe, and if you then go to 15x or 20 times it gets worse,  the magnification increases, the view narrows and the bins get heavier, unless you steady the binoculars (tripod, monopod, wall, car roof, anything solid that you can rest the bins on or rest your arms holding the bins).

So finding something thats comfortable to hold for a period of time is a good start, mounting them for longer periods of use.
The objectives, the fat end of the binoculars, need to be large(er) for low light levels in order to capture as much light as possible, more light, greater the detail, but all this extra glass adds to the weight and the cost, then stick a  super brand name and your wallet feels much lighter all of a sudden.

If I were to buy some new binoculars today, the same magnification as my present 15x70's, yes they would be better constructed, may have better coatings, be impervious to dewing, weigh as much as several bags of sugar, and more expensive, but the more I think about it today( the less I need the Oberwerks just now.

Trial and error maybe the way to go. The only binoculars I recall to fail for me, after several years of testing, were a pair of Nikon 10x50's,  they did not fit the face (something I had not come across before!) looked cheap inside, or missed quality control, and had no warranty card for UK. I sold these, the new owner loved them.

This site...........  http://binocularsky.com/  is owned and regularly updated by one of our regular contributors, plenty of good advice there. 

Thanks for the info,

I have some 15 x 70s that  I have too use with a tripod due to the weight.

I'll have a read of binocular sky to see what advice I can obtain.

Thanks again.

Doug

4 hours ago, Doug64 said:

Thanks for the info,

I have some 15 x 70s that  I have too use with a tripod due to the weight.

Thanks again.

Doug

I think every astronomer should have some form of binocular, finding what suits  is the issue.
I for one realise that my binoculars can't compare with the magnification that  my telescope is able to provide, so have chosen wide field binoculars to allow me to see more of the open sky, more of the constellation, rather than looking at single Star's. If I look at Jupiter, I'll see a few Moons, but no planetary detail, just a white bright disk. My binoculars are just not suited for planetary observations, so  If I need to see something with lots of detail, then the scope is available, when conditions allow.

I have my always-ready, ready-to-go Helios 8x40's, right next to the door, grab&go, I have some general purpose 10x50's, stored in the car, and my 15x70s are there, occasionally for astronomy, and good for anything else in the sky during the day at some distance away, tripod mounted of course.

49 minutes ago, Charic said:

I think every astronomer should have some form of binocular, finding what suits  is the issue.
I for one realise that my binoculars can't compare with the magnification that  my telescope is able to provide, so have chosen wide field binoculars to allow me to see more of the open sky, more of the constellation, rather than looking at single Star's. If I look at Jupiter, I'll see a few Moons, but no planetary detail, just a white bright disk. My binoculars are just not suited for planetary observations, so  If I need to see something with lots of detail, then the scope is available, when conditions allow.

I have my always-ready, ready-to-go Helios 8x40's, right next to the door, grab&go, I have some general purpose 10x50's, stored in the car, and my 15x70s are there, occasionally for astronomy, and good for anything else in the sky during the day at some distance away, tripod mounted of course.

Thanks for the comments.

This is the way I'm thinking I'll go, with binoculars for a wide field view something like 8 x 43s that should be easier to hand hold and will give a good view.  I already have some 15 x 70s that I mount on tripod and for greater detail I will use my telescopes.  I'm really after a good grab and go pair of binoculars within my price range.

I'll have a look at the 8 x 40s that the sponsor has for sale.

Thanks again for the comments.

Doug

On 28/12/2017 at 17:40, Doug64 said:

Please do ask, either here or directly via the website, if you have any queries.

From what you've said so far:

I'm not sure if I should be looking for 10 x 50s, 8 x42s, 10 x 42s and if I should go with ED glass or not.

ED glass does make a difference.

A 10x42 can make a good multi-purpose travel binocular but: all else being equal (which, of course, it rarely is in practice), the 10x50 and 8x42 will be brighter. In my opinion, the 10x50 is the "sweet spot" for an all round hand-held astro binocular, but there are others who reckon 8x40-ish is better, owing to being easier to hold steadily. In my experience, I see more with the 10x50 (mine is a Lunt Magnesium, which is as near as dammit identical to the Helios Lightquest reviewed here ). However, if you are going to get a lot of dayllight use, you may prefer centre focusing, in which case, your original suggestion of the Pentax SP 10x50 WP is exceptionally good value (also reviewed here.)

Your later posts suggest you are tending to the 8x42-ish size. Unless you particularly want a roof prism, the Opticron Imagic 8x42 TGA WP is a contender (yes, you guessed it, also reviewed here. :grin:) - in my opinion, you'd need to pay a lot more -- probably near the top end of your £300 budget --  to get better optical and mechanical quality in an 8x42. It is not as bright for astronomy as a 10x50, but is very good ergonomically, so will hold a steadier view.

HTH

5 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Please do ask, either here or directly via the website, if you have any queries.

From what you've said so far:

ED glass does make a difference.

A 10x42 can make a good multi-purpose travel binocular but: all else being equal (which, of course, it rarely are in practice), the 10x50 and 8x42 will be brighter. In my opinion, the 10x50 is the "sweet spot" for an all round hand-held astro binocular, but there are others who reckon 8x40-ish is better, owing to being easier to hold steadily. In my experience, I see more with the 10x50 (mine is a Lunt Magnesium, which is as near as dammit identical to the Helios Lightquest reviewed here ). However, if you are going to get a lot of dayllight use, you may prefer centre focusing, in which case, your original suggestion of the Pentax SP 10x50 WP is exceptionally good value (also reviewed here.)

Your later posts suggest you are tending to the 8x42-ish size. Unless you particularly want a roof prism, the Opticron Imagic 8x42 TGA WP is a contender (yes, you guessed it, also reviewed here. :grin:) - in my opinion, you'd need to pay a lot more -- probably near the top end of your £300 budget --  to get better optical and mechanical quality in an 8x42. It is not as bright for astronomy as a 10x50, but is very good ergonomically, so will hold a steadier view.

HTH

Thanks for the above.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I have a pair of 15 x 70 which I use mounted and I've now purchased a pair of 8 x 42 ED binoculars. The main reason I went for the 8 x 42 is due to the fact that I found the 8 x 42's easier to hold steady, I liked the wider FOV and as they will also be used for general / wildlife views whilst travelling I thought they would be a better option than the 10 x 50's.  The new binoculars should be with me in a couple of days just in time for my holiday :icon_biggrin:

Doug

Archived