NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does cooling down time appley with binoculars

Taff

Hmm, I'll have to look :bino2: into it when the weather gets cold. :p

At a fixed, low magnification I'm not sure how close something would actually have to be in order for the view to be affected by internal or external currents. To be perfectly honest though, I've never noticed any visual distortions between the times when the binos were cooled down and when they weren't.. even with the large aperture of the 22x100s.

It's true about the eyepieces fogging up.. the objectives do too. Heat tapes work great on the objectives but no matter what I do, the eyepieces always keep getting foggy occasionally. Maybe because I'm looking up into them and the moist heat from my eye is floating up onto the surface? :smiley:

Like Ant says, never thought about it, but good point.

I guess that with a somewhat smaller capacity than a scope tube then they would require less cool down time. But then again some are housed in rubber and plastic so they may require longer than you would think....perhaps this is something which needs testing...........I feel a science experiment coming on!

I do uncap inside and recap inside and keep Silica Gell inside the case when not in use.

Hmmm, this has always confused me. I always thought that the cooler outside air is drier (cold air cannot hold so much moisture which is why your breath forms mist on a cold day) so if you cap outside, so long as they're not fogged at the time, then bring them in, the relative humidity of the air under the caps would be lower than the air in the house and there would be no chance of moisture in there.

Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense, but if moist indoor air works its way under the lenscaps and fogs the objectives, there's no air circulation to help the drying process. Depending on your climate, mold may become problematic.

The best way I've found to prevent post-session equipment fogging is to place everything in large lawn/trash bags while still outside. This includes charts, atlases, notes, binos and scopes. Otherwise, everything literally drips within 60 seconds after being brought back into the house.

The bag prevents moist indoor air from coming into contact with the equipment, and it stays nice and dry. By the time the bags are opened in the morning, everything's room temperature again. :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken 15x70 binos into the Gulf, EVERY time they came out to view the skies, FOG

Even when they've been left out for an hour or so. Very humid conditions. Even when sailing in the Atlantic its a few days either side of the equator that optics are spoilt with atmospheric conditions within minutes.

In the Artic no problems with the cold air, apart from the eyeball watering with the cold all the time.

Eddie

Archived