Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod ideas for incoming Giro Ercole

Chris

8 minutes ago, dobbie said:

Hi Chris yes it does, its a m10 I think the same ones as skywatcher eq3/5 etc.. whats the diameter of the ercole I see it as a flange on it , it may well fit into the recess on the vixen .

Ah this could be a problem, the threaded hole for the Ercole looks to be 3/8" or about 8/9mm, I need to check with a bolt to be sure. The flange is 60mm across. 

Hmm?

EDIT: yes, just checked the TS site and it says 3/8" photo thread. I'd need some kind of adaptor.

Edited by Lockie

Thanks dobbie! so my flange is too wide, but there exists a pre made adaptor. 

I've gone back on the FLO site and found what I think that is:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-camera-platform-adapter-for-hal-tripod.html

got excited, then noticed it's 1/4" not 3/8"..face palm. 

If that was 3/8" I would have ordered there and then, but I might need to find a tripod with a basic hole through the centre so I can just use some 3/8" threaded rod.

Edited by Lockie

1 minute ago, dobbie said:

Excellent, thanks! So if I check with FLO that the flange is less than 45mm, that should in theory fit to the M10 bolt of the vixen tripod! 

I'll fire off an email to Martin at FLO. As they stock both the Vixen tripod and the Berlebach adaptor they should be able to confirm :) 

Cheers :)  

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I used my Ercole both on an EQ5 extension pillar and on a photo tripod with 3/8" bolt.  I don't think you need an adapter.

dobbie says the Vixen mount has an M10 bolt not 3/8"

But does this mean, that if I bought a Synta EQ5 tripod it would simply directly attach, are they 3/8" also? 

27 minutes ago, Lockie said:

dobbie says the Vixen mount has an M10 bolt not 3/8"

But does this mean, that if I bought a Synta EQ5 tripod it would simply directly attach, are they 3/8" also? 

I know it's confusing - and I can't really say why it fits both, but it does :happy11:

This goes for the Ercole Mini as well. Photo tripod:

giro-ercole-mini_20160409.thumb.JPG.08706b8ae5ed707cb8e49e3fa117d8c8.JPG

EQ5 tripod:

tmp_2629-DSC_0217-474030313.thumb.JPG.da9fdcf90111a8a19113cf9cd4e128bf.JPG

What can I say?  :icon_biggrin:

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 1

Thanks both, well that's good news then :) I'll hold off the adaptors which ever mount I get then.

Unless I have any other bright ideas over the weekend, I'll order the Vixen tripod Sunday/Monday.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ags said:

Yes, that one does look nice doesn't it. It's one of the recommended mounts listed below the Ercole on the TS site. 

Sort of a cross between a Uni28 and a photo tripod!

On 01/12/2017 at 14:42, dobbie said:

this is the vixen tripod with my 150p on it it takes a second to for the vibrations to stop when you knocked it but is capable of holding it. i am thinking of using the tripod with the skywatcher gti mount . 

20170523_154507.jpg

Dobbie, why is that beautiful AYO dumped in favour of the mini giro?

Nearly brought tears to my eyes, an AYO, displaced?

I am lusting for the AYO still, so perhaps it’s blurring my judgement!

The Vixen tripod looks rather good, keep looking at these myself, but still looks too photo tripod to me,

is it more solid than it looks?   I can see why Chris is going for one for grab and go.

Very interesting picture as I have a 150p incoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

The Vixen tripod looks rather good, keep looking at these myself, but still looks too photo tripod to me,

is it more solid than it looks?   I can see why Chris is going for one for grab and go.

I ended up keeping a Skytee II over the much more lovely Giro Ercole. Bottom line was that the Skytee II held my big refractor steadier than the Ercole could which I demonstrated to myself over a number of sessions. Sometimes you have to go with your head rather than your heart !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Hi Alan the ayo was not dumped  , I was just trying the ercole out ,which is a light weight set up . The ayo sits on the vixen tripod with the bottom flange taken off perfectly, its like it was made for it.. it also very happy set on my uni tripod ?.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dobbie said:

The ayo sits on the vixen tripod with the bottom flange taken off perfectly, its like it was made for it

It does look a great fit for the Ayo. I'm nervous about ordering the vixen for my Ercole with the Vixen hole being 45mm and the Ercole flange being 60mm.

I know there's an adaptor which I've asked FLO about, and others have suggested that it isn't needed, but if I can confirm that the m10 bolt rises up above the 45mm hole I'd feel less nervous about being able to connect the mount to the tripod.

I really should get a lathe at some point, that would be great for situations like this!

6 minutes ago, Lockie said:

It does look a great fit for the Ayo. I'm nervous about ordering the vixen for my Ercole with the Vixen hole being 45mm and the Ercole flange being 60mm.

I know there's an adaptor which I've asked FLO about, and others have suggested that it isn't needed, but if I can confirm that the m10 bolt rises up above the 45mm hole I'd feel less nervous about being able to connect the mount to the tripod.

I really should get a lathe at some point, that would be great for situations like this!

thats the amount it comes above the level , which is enough to hold a eq5 extension so should be good for the ercole. 

20171203_135632.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dobbie said:

Hi Alan the ayo was not dumped  , I was just trying the ercole out ,which is a light weight set up . The ayo sits on the vixen tripod with the bottom flange taken off perfectly, its like it was made for it.. it also very happy set on my uni tripod ?.

Phew :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks dobbie, much appreciated with the pics and everything, nice one :) 

I've just literally got an email offering me a cheap eq5 tripod for 45 quid, but if the guy isn't happy to post it at my cost then I'll be hitting the button on Vixen this evening :)

27 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Thanks dobbie, much appreciated with the pics and everything, nice one :) 

I've just literally got an email offering me a cheap eq5 tripod for 45 quid, but if the guy isn't happy to post it at my cost then I'll be hitting the button on Vixen this evening :)

Otherwise, I have a spare EQ5 tripod and pillar, if you're interested...

:smile:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dobbie said:

there's always the possibility of changing the eq5 legs to ali ones making it even lighter for grab n go.. got you thinking again eh.... 

15 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Otherwise, I have a spare EQ5 tripod and pillar, if you're interested...

:smile:

Just got off the phone with the guy and he sent me some pics, as it turns out it's a CG5 tripod. He only lives 38 miles away so I'd be a fool not to give it a go at least, I'm picking it up Wednesday :) 

I know this will be a much heavier setup than first intended, but I figure with the money I'd save I could buy a lighter option as well, or still get the Vixen tripod if I find it a bit too heavy for lugging around. It is nice to have the option to mount a heavy scope if required.

• Like 2