Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod ideas for incoming Giro Ercole

Chris

Hi, I have the above mount head winging it's way to me, but I have no tripod which could be a problem.

Any ideas please, I need a tripod to be relatively light for grab and go purposes, initially mounting an ED70 but will be adding something like a small Mak/SCT the other side eventually. 

Are there any photo tripods upto the job? Or should I accept the weight of a CG5/EQ5 tripod, or the weight and cost of something like a Uni 18 or 28?

Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated :) 

I had the Ercole that I used to have on a Uni 28 tripod but I was intending to put a 130 F/9.2 triplet on it !

One of the 1.75" steel tubed HEQ5 tripods would do the trick though. Not sure a photo tripod would be quite enough unless it was a really good quality one such as the one that Matthew was using here:

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2015/05/03/tele-optic-giro-ercole-alt-az-mount-review/

• Like 3

I have my DSV-2B loaded with an AT72ED on one side and a 127 Mak on the other side.  It is mounted on a second-hand Manfrotto 058B tripod.  It is plenty sturdy, and I really like that I can change the splay of the legs to adjust the base height to be low enough to use while sitting, and the geared center column can be used as a variable height pier to make it easier to see objects at zenith.  With Sorbothane pads under each foot, dampening time is about 1/2 second.  It's not light weight, but I would never load that much weight on a lighter tripod.

Edited by Louis D
typo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have my DSV-2B loaded with an AT72ED on one side and a 127 Mak on the other side.  It is mounted on a second-hand Manfrotto 058B tripod.  It is plenty sturdy, and I really like that I can change the splay of the legs to adjust the base height to be low enough to use while sitting, and the geared center column can be used as a variable height pier to make it easier to see objects at zenith.  With Sorbothane pads under each foot, dampening time is about 1/2 second.  It's not light weight, but I would never load that much weight on a lighter tripod.

That looks like a seriously sturdy photo tripod! I'll Google Manfrotto and see what turns up in the UK, cheers for that :) 

25 minutes ago, John said:

I had the Ercole that I used to have on a Uni 28 tripod but I was intending to put a 130 F/9.2 triplet on it !

One of the 1.75" steel tubed HEQ5 tripods would do the trick though. Not sure a photo tripod would be quite enough unless it was a really good quality one such as the one that Matthew was using here:

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2015/05/03/tele-optic-giro-ercole-alt-az-mount-review/

Thanks John, I feel quite excited to be getting this mount after reading Mathew's review! :) 

I'll put Gitzo on my Google list.

Chris

When I had my Giro I tried it on the same Manfrotto tripod, but the Carbon version I have for photography and it was wobbly as heck with the ED100.

I then used the 1.75" steel legs and it was better, but 

I then used CG5 2" steel legs and it was solid and I mean solid in use.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Chris

When I had my Giro I tried it on the same Manfrotto tripod, but the Carbon version I have for photography and it was wobbly as heck with the ED100.

I then used the 1.75" steel legs and it was better, but 

I then used CG5 2" steel legs and it was solid and I mean solid in use.

Thanks for that, Alan, I'm glad you told me this! I'll take your advice and go for something a bit more substantial. Photo tripods off the table :) 

I'll either get a CG5 or splash out on a Uni18/28. I guess then at least I can stick pretty much any scope I want on this mount without having to worry about payload. 

I just want to be able to carry the thing!

6 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A Uni 28 is my one day tripod, if you can scrape up the money for one, go for it.

I'm guessing I'd need to get the HEQ5 version plus an adaptor if I went that route? It is tempting to treat myself, and I think my wife would prefer the nice looking wood mount in the house :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

A quick look on WEX photographic and I'm clearly priced out of the Gitzo's, but Manfrotto do have the following tripod rated at 9kg in my price range:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-mt055xpro3-tripod-1549518/

I guess it's either that or a CG5/eq5

I have an older version of the 055 tripod, and it is no where near heavy-duty enough to handle that kind of load.

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Photo tripods off the table :)

Professional video tripods can certainly be steady enough to handle heavy loads, though they cost well over $1000 to start.  You're better off to stick with telescope tripods unless you come across a heck of a deal on a used professional level video tripod.

We've certainly moved on from something sticking out of the umbrella stand, ready to go with the scope on it...

:p

The Ercole is a very nice mount indeed, congratulations! I used mine on an extension pillar atop a  EQ5 tripod.

"One day" I will get a nice wooden Berlebach...  :cool:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

We've certainly moved on from something sticking out of the umbrella stand, ready to go with the scope on it...

:p

The Ercole is a very nice mount indeed, congratulations! I used mine on an extension pillar atop a  EQ5 tripod.

"One day" I will get a nice wooden Berlebach...  :cool:

The Ercole is a bit bulkier than I would like to be honest, and over kill for small fracs and Maks. I just found it too hard to resist when I saw one come up second hand for a good price complete with clamps either side lol 

I still would prefer a light weight tripod, this is meant to be grab n go, I don't know how grab n go the Uni28 is? But do feel that my remit of light weight and easy to setup is running away from me!

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I still would prefer a light weight tripod, this is meant to be grab n go, I don't know how grab n go the Uni28 is? But do feel that my remit of light weight and easy to setup is running away from me!

Easy setup is not lost... light weight may be slipping a bit.  :happy11:

• Haha 1

I'm looking at this one, but have some doubts:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8275_TS-Optics-Optics-A284FMO-Aluminium-Tripod---Height-145-mm-to-1670-mm.html

I need it to carry a Mak 102, and TS say by email it is OK for a small frac or mak. The linked page says load capacity of 15kg, which contradicts the email and seems rather unlikely looking at the thing. Transport length is 48cm, which is an important factor for me. I don't intend to use it fully extended, so that would probably help.

Edited by Ags

21 minutes ago, dobbie said:

this is a vixen app-tl130 tripod it holds the scopes and is rock solid , and it folds down to nothing and lightweight its my grab n go set up .the uni mount is not grab n go . 

Thanks, dobbie. FLO sell them as well:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-advanced-polaris-app-tl130-tripod.html

I think this one could be the one! :) 

15 minutes ago, Ags said:

I'm looking at this one, but have some doubts:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8275_TS-Optics-Optics-A284FMO-Aluminium-Tripod---Height-145-mm-to-1670-mm.html

I need it to carry a Mak 102, and TS say by email it is OK for a small frac or mak. The linked page says load capacity of 15kg, which contradicts the email and seems rather unlikely looking at the thing. Transport length is 48cm, which is an important factor for me. I don't intend to use it fully extended, so that would probably help.

It does look a bit flimsy, how about this one dobbie mentioned, I'm very tempted by it!

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-mounts/vixen-advanced-polaris-app-tl130-tripod.html

19 hours ago, Alan White said:

Chris

Would this tripod be stable enough for a star adventurer, 600d and samyang 135mm lens?

I'm busy trying to find a decent, stable tripod for around the £100ish mark

this is the vixen tripod with my 150p on it it takes a second to for the vibrations to stop when you knocked it but is capable of holding it. i am thinking of using the tripod with the skywatcher gti mount . 

20170523_154507.jpg

• Like 1

Looks really good! I like the pier extension. I reckon it would be a huge benefit over the standard gti tripod.

Does the Vixen come with a captive centre bolt to attach to the mount? I can't see how you'd attach one else with that centre column underneath?  

Hi Chris yes it does, its a m10 I think the same ones as skywatcher eq3/5 etc.. whats the diameter of the ercole I see it as a flange on it , it may well fit into the recess on the vixen .the central column on the tripod as the bolt attached to it 

20171201_150142.jpg

20171201_150238.jpg

Edited by dobbie
  • Thanks 1