Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optical Wonder Baader Fluid

N3ptune

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Calotherm lens cleaning spray on my glasses and they have all sorts of coatings on them. They are still in perfect condition.

I also used it on the objective of an ED80 scope with similar results. I normally use Baader Wonderfluid on my Astro gear but it did leave a film on the ED80 objective that the Calotherm subsequently removed.

Tony

9 hours ago, Star Struck said:

I use Calotherm lens cleaning spray on my glasses and they have all sorts of coatings on them. They are still in perfect condition.

I also used it on the objective of an ED80 scope with similar results. I normally use Baader Wonderfluid on my Astro gear but it did leave a film on the ED80 objective that the Calotherm subsequently removed.

Tony

Ok ok well you convinced me the Calotherm is a worthy product. I looked at Amazon.ca they have it but it's coming for the UK the delays are up to 1.5 month shipping.  I ordered the Optical Wonder from a not so local store instead.

If they can't get it for me or the delay is undetermined, I'll cancel and place an order on a bottle of Calotherm.

Waiting period...

The Baader Optical Wonder Fluid, (expensive fluid for the elite  :icon_queen: 18.50CAD that's not too bad.)

Wx2acmj.jpg?1

• 2 months later...

I want to publish a conclusion to this thread. I spoke with a very reliable source and he told me how to clean a filter properly. I needed to remove the glass out of the frame then wash it with only products I can find at the pharmacy. So I did it again and it worked like a charm 3 of my filters were cleaned and they came out like new ones (none the less it's impressive), no more grease there or any fluid residue all around the filter.

The formula to do that was the following: 50% distilled water + 50% 99% Isopropylic Alcohol I found at the pharmacy + a very small drop if basic dish soap, here we have Palmolive original similar to green fairy liquid. That formula was very effective and caused no apparent damages. 

=================

Of course I did against all advices but it was worth the efforts.

Here are a couple of images of the process

I had to cut spanner tools into thick Aluminium sheet (+-0.5mm) to be able to unscrew the filters, there are great tools and good for a life time, 1 for 1.25" filter and 1 for 2" filters

These is the dimensions to cut the spanners, from my own measurements, they both worked very well. Tolerances are good.

rJC8cfV.png?1

Some images.

anKONwH.jpg

KC11HMo.jpg

This is my OIII the ring was easy to remove, not too much torque on them.

JtOWcvy.jpg

Cleaning of my 2" filter

AAWEaUu.jpg

4oHzIyr.jpg

6pOKrvT.jpg

The OIII resting in the previous solution, and rinsed with distilled water after

9oqBpiJ.jpg

And the method I found to remount the lens on the frame. It's an eraser covered with Zeiss tissue. (Instead of dropping the glass inside)

kDozFxY.jpg

:icon_biggrin: I know some people will be unhappy about this publication and tell us it's very dangerous to do (Yes) but it was honestly fun to do also and the result if above my expectations. I encourage people to dismount a cheap filter just for the fun of it. If it's a success, you will be happy.

2 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

@Alien 13

Glad you appreciated my latest experiment :icon_biggrin:

I do like the straightforward IPA/distilled water mix, the IPA is easy to get hold of for me in the UK from places like Maplin but Distilled water is as rare as hens teeth over here. I often use lens pens though when I just need to remove a few grease spots without disturbing the whole surface.

Alan

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I do like the straightforward IPA/distilled water mix, the IPA is easy to get hold of for me in the UK from places like Maplin but Distilled water is as rare as hens teeth over here. I often use lens pens though when I just need to remove a few grease spots without disturbing the whole surface.

Alan

Would RO water from an aquarium do for this? That's what I use for cleaning Newt mirrors and it works a treat. Very cheap too, particularly if you take your own container!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Would RO water from an aquarium do for this? That's what I use for cleaning Newt mirrors and it works a treat. Very cheap too, particularly if you take your own container!

I am sure it would do the job very well, the Litre cans of IPA are cheap too usually with a purity greater than 99.7%.

Alan

9 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

I am afraid of these Pens because they touch the surface and I don't know if they could collect abrasive material. Also I used mine after a few optical fluid cleaning on eyepieces and I think it's now contaminated with the optical fluid. The pen will reapply a film itself.

But I never tried to remove a specific spot of dirt with it, it could be very good for that or simply my model does not have an interesting shape to spot clean.

RO water is a good idea.

I have never had a problem with the pens but I agree they dont like getting wet with fluid , I use then on everything including my camera sensor and it is usually a simple single stroke. I have battled with grease on a lens in the past and it took many goes with the fluid and probably a total of 10 minute of rubbing with a microfiber cloth so shift it.

Alan

Recently cleaned my 2" OIII Lumicon, original company, filter. I instigated the same careful process as for eyepiece cleaning, baader wonder fluid etc. Extensively researched just to be sure, particularly reading on Cloudy Nights, Lumicon, the original highly regarded company, recommended the standard process, did not dismantle anything, provided expected wonderful views last time out. I use RO water obtained through a garden centre aquarium for infrequent Newtonian mirror cleaning.   

Ive never tried the Baader stuff (maybe too expensive?).

I still favour Zeiss wipes for my optics, be that  astro or photo. My prescription glasses get wiped with just about anything available, as does the eyeglass of my EP's? 

I'm sure I've only wet my telescopes mirror once in about 5 years ( I'd need to check that for accuracy ) but I used Windolene last time  having read an article whereby it  was mentioned/suggested  by Al Nagler that Windex was suitable!! probably the same stuff. I've also read a report that stated they observed  opticians spitting on the EP glass prior to final polish/cleaning.

A gloved finger or shirt removes any dew from my eyepieces, and the following morning, upon inspection, a clean single Zeiss is used, if necessary. I buy mine from Asda/Walmart.

None of my present optics in both collections astro/photo seem to show any signs of any imperfection. I believe that the coatings are far tougher than some would say, and wetting them is not going to wash away any of the protection from these multi-coated surfaces, although over wetting a Skywatcher donut may remove it from the face of the mirror?

Unless my EP's were filled with nitrogen or some other inert gas, with seals intact, I wouldn't pour any solution directly onto the lens and let it sit, but I have no issues wiping them with a Zeiss tissue or damp wetted cloth (micro-fibre). 

Folk should  adhere to whatever method  they prefer. There is really no set method,  otherwise we would probably all use it, but as always, folk have differing views on the subject, that said, this is my experience,  my opinion , fire away!

@scarp15 My research were extensive too especially when it's not possible to get any Baader Optical Wonder in Canada. I have to say that the views were 100% ok before, the matter was about how to completely remove the grease and film without damaging the coating. Scrubbing a semi dry filter with optical fluid proved to be ineffective and there still was a film around and grease not removed properly.

I wanted to have a different result because when I buy a filter, it don't come with a film of grease on it's surface. The technique I used removed all of it.

Apart from the danger of unscrewing the ring out of the chassis, I think the cleaning process itself of immersing the lens into the fluid and using very soft medical cotton to wipe the lens while it's inside the fluid is much softer and less dangerous to scratch then anything else. Plus, a bath of fluid has the power of dissolving grease without even scrubbing the surface. (Especially with warmer water)

Of course, no company will ever suggest an individual to dismount a filter to clean it obviously.

But if it's required to do a perfect job on a filter with grease spots, the evidences shows that removing the lens and immersing it into solution will be very effective with minimal scrubbing.

AAWEaUu.jpg

Thanks for posting and in detail with pictures. Understandable successful, thorough procedure if for when the filter is particularly greasy. I was expecting to use RO water as part of the process on mine but could not find an account for this. The task of removing the metal rim would make me quite hesitant I think, yet in certain cases with certain filters, as you have demonstrated, with care should be fine. 

On 2/24/2018 at 05:07, scarp15 said:

Thanks for posting and in detail with pictures. Understandable successful, thorough procedure if for when the filter is particularly greasy. I was expecting to use RO water as part of the process on mine but could not find an account for this. The task of removing the metal rim would make me quite hesitant I think, yet in certain cases with certain filters, as you have demonstrated, with care should be fine. 

Yes it's for very dirty filters, not for routine cleaning work, I understand your hesitation and it would be overkill.

I use distilled water here but I would not mind using demineralized for rinsing. there is virtually nothing less then microscopic drying on the filter. When the rinsing is finished, I blow some air at the surface then it removes every drops of water before they even have the chance to dry.

Archived