Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Object Oumuamua's bizarre shape

Bizarre indeed. My first impression was that it is a shard of brittle material from a huge collision between two rocky objects. Although a theory put forward in the BBC article has it starting out molten and being stretched into its elongated shape which seems more plausible. If only we had more time to study it!

Some fabulous images doing the rounds in the media and the descriptions of Oumuamua were just as interesting. "A dense, comprised of rock and possibly metals, has no water or ice, and that its surface was reddened due to the effects of irradiation from cosmic rays over long periods of time". 

I wonder whether its shape is the result of it being a fragment of some cataclysmic event that gave it sufficient kinetic energy to escape the gravitation of the star system it came from. 

Do we have any idea how frequently these interstellar visitors pass by? If they're relatively frequent it might be worth having a probe ready for interception. 

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I wonder whether its shape is the result of it being a fragment of some cataclysmic event that gave it sufficient kinetic energy to escape the gravitation of the star system it came from. 

Do we have any idea how frequently these interstellar visitors pass by? If they're relatively frequent it might be worth having a probe ready for interception. 

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/faq/interstellar

Two month observation window, nearly twice the velocity of Voyager 1. Expectation is that these are relatively common - "several times a year"...?

Cool stuff.

Archived