Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Setup Working Well :)

Hi,

So I've found some time here and there (right now I have a lot of time free :) ) amongst studying for A-Levels, for testing out my now complete Deep-Sky imaging setup.

• Skywatcher 130P-DS
  • Canon EOS 1000d
  • Skywatcher LP Filter
  • Baader MPCC Mk. 3
  • Programmable Shutter Release
  • Skywatcher 50mm Finder/Guider
  • ZWO ASI Webcam
  • Motorized (Dual-Axis) EQ5
  • Various Pieces of Metal Holding Stuff Together
  • 6V Mains Power Adapter for Mount
  • All controlled by PHD2 and DigiCamControl

My "standard" exposure length is around 3 minutes at ISO 800. I could go longer, but the camera is the main bottleneck as its old and a bit grainy/noisy, leaving a characteristic canvas streak pattern across the images. The power adapter has been very useful--apart from saving a fortune in D-Cells, the motor performance seems much better now that there is a constant and non-varying current. I cut up the old telescope's cover and fitted a Bahtinov mask which I made into it, which I can use for very quick focusing.

1. Pleiades (M45)

Pleiades.thumb.jpg.b0a4bbb857651befb840c3259a85d52e.jpg

2. Orion (Great) Nebula (M42)

5a0cb2b6658b9_OrionNebula.thumb.jpg.ceb5c50996aa432a01e58522efdd3fa6.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

Great images John. Yes crop the edges to take out the artefacts as previously discussed by John. Gets confusing :) After stacking, cropping is the first procedure you should implement as it helps with any image post processing you will undertake.

Steve

24 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

canvas streak pattern

Well done. Great shots.

Wondering whether a dither between the frames with a median or sigma stack would shift the camera streak noise?

Good luck with the A levels and clear skies.

Just now, alacant said:

Yes. You can either send the dither request from an imaging app like APT or -not certain- you can use PHD2's stand alone dither app. HTH.

Great, thanks. I use the progarammable shuttler release to actually take the images, the free DSLR control apps I found couldn't use BULB more on the camera coz its old and for some reason the drivers don't work or something. But I can put a delay between shots so that it all works ok..

Archived