Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First prominence image on relatively new gear

Davenn

hi guys and gals OK finally starting to figure out how to use all this new software and hardware for viewing and imaging the sun finally a first decent image of a prominence today 2017/11/14

gear - Lunt LS60THa solar telescope, ZWO178MC camera and SharpCap software trying to image in daytime is a real challenge ...

dealing with daytime glare on a laptop screen etc this is a single image capture

Capture_0013sm.thumb.jpg.4e6f9a7f4daa0e116741f27c5da50cbd.jpg

the basic setup

just a quick pic of the setup laptop inside cardboard box for some shielding of the screen from the sunlight.

I needed to stick my head into the box up close to the screen to stop the sunlight reflections off me getting onto the screen ....

IMAG0312sm.jpg.a408a6b045097afce8637438a486c03f.jpg

regards

Dave

That's a good start, well done! I recommend a shroud over you and box to help with eliminating reflections - think Victorian photographer! Good luck and at least down in Australia you have a very good chance of seeing the Sun far more frequently than us lot here in the UK!

3 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I recommend a shroud over you and box to help with eliminating reflections - think Victorian photographer!

Hi Gav,

thanks for that :icon_biggrin:    ahhh yes, that would help lots, will have to see if I can find some cloth to drape over my head and the box :)

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:38, MarsG76 said:

Single image?? very good pic for a single shot,

yes and thankyou .... as you could see I was just using a camera tripod, so no tracking.  I did do a brief .avi movie but have yet to

see if registax or stackkurt can handle the sun moving across the FOV ??

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:59, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very good single shot!

still lots to learn and I really need to get the scop onto a tracking mount so I don't have to keep nudging it :) 

Dave

Nicely done Dave, welcome to the light side.

You should achieve some nice images with that setup, I find wearing a black T shirt helps with screen reflactions.

A slow drift of the Sun across the image can help eliminate dust bunnies and Newtons damn rings.

Dave

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:59, Davey-T said:

Nicely done Dave, welcome to the light side.

You should achieve some nice images with that setup, I find wearing a black T shirt helps with screen reflactions.

A slow drift of the Sun across the image can help eliminate dust bunnies and Newtons damn rings.

Dave

black tee-shirt .... another good suggestion ... Thanks 

I have a long history of solar observing .... was the early 1970's when I started regularly drawing sunspots. Aurora observing and photography. Also collecting sunspot /flux data from the WWV transmissions etc

Using my ham radio to monitor burst of solar noise caused by flares

Have done a lot of white light solar photography over the years, but this foray into Ha filters and imaging is only a couple of months old, so a bit of a learning curve

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 05:18, GreatAttractor said:

Good result, Dave. Autostakkert! will handle a drifting image without problems. Regarding the glare - keep a towel (e.g.) on hand and just put it over your head and the box for focusing/etalon tuning. And make sure your next laptop has a matte screen ;)

thanks, slowly improving

That is good to hear  I have done several short video clips as the sun drifted across the FOV.  so I might have a go at seeing how it works out

Dave

23 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Having fun is the most important aspect of any hobby. Have you tried Firecapture? 

Hi Pete

I did download it several weeks ago ... maybe even installed it, cant remember

does it have worthy advantages over Sharpcap ?

Dave

Archived