Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloud yet again

nightfisher

I had planned to observe the large "Beaver" full moon tonight, sadly due to starting work very early Monday to Friday, the only days I can really set up a scope is a Friday or Saturday night, but as usual its full low cloud, light rain and slightly foggy, so just stopped of at shop and bought wine and beer! :happy11:

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm still none the wiser Mike!

I looked it up on the interwebs; apparently it's the full Moon in November when the Beavers get busy, something along those lines.

Seems to be one of the names that the native Americans used to distinguish between full Moons, and thus indicate the time of year and / or  significant seasonal change. If trapping beavers is part of your livelihood, you want to keep track of when there's plenty of them around (it seems they are busy building dams in November?).

:happy11:

20 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I looked it up on the interwebs; apparently it's the full Moon in November when the Beavers get busy, something along those lines.

Seems to be one of the names that the native Americans used to distinguish between full Moons, and thus indicate the time of year and / or  significant seasonal change. If trapping beavers is part of your livelihood, you want to keep track of when there's plenty of them around (it seems they are busy building dams in November?).

:happy11:

Thanks Mike.

Hmmm, well killing things and Beavers are both things I'm not really familiar with so I doubt I will pick up this particular saying. It can go alongside 'super moon' in the list of astronomical phrases Stu won't use ;) 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Thanks Mike.

Hmmm, well killing things and Beavers are both things I'm not really familiar with so I doubt I will pick up this particular saying. It can go alongside 'super moon' in the list of astronomical phrases Stu won't use ;) 

I agree that the association is not particularly appealing; the phrase won't have much meaning outside North America.

23 hours ago, nightfisher said:

hoping to get a quick look tonight, and there is a good chance of some white light tomorrow afternoon

Skies are looking promising Jules so indeed hope it goes well. Its an all to familiar occurrence when clear skies and opportunity to enjoy them don't coincide.

Archived