NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

DeanWatson

Heres a silly one...

I was watching The Empire Strikes Back for quite probably the two thousandth time last night and in the closing scene I got to wondering.

When they are atmospherically looking out of the viewport of the medical frigate at the Millenium Falcon flying back into the main swathe of the galaxy (Quite liked the imagery of their orbiting it at a distance while they catch their breath as it were), it occured to me to ask what galaxy that we know of from photographs most closely resembles it- preferably at the same angle? Now, of course a good contender is M31 - But that doesn't count! Remember - Its a galaxy 'far, far away' and this is naturally about the closest to us.

So come on people! Lets get geeky! What d'ya think? (incidentally, not a massive SW fan myself - just like it a normal amount - and it would surprise me deeply if any of you, my peers hadn't seen it!)

I guess M81 (AKA Bode's Galaxy) in Ursa Major could be a candidate - it's a classic spiral galaxy that's around 12 million LY's away. Our viewing angle is not quite the same as Luke and Leia had - but they were on a spaceship !

John

Oh sure, its a bit of a jaunt- But its not a galaxy 'right next door or part of the local group' - Its one far, far away! Playing games with language I know... :D , 'sides when you look at whats on screen and M31 its not a perfect match anyway. Very large bright core in 'Empire with no satellite galaxies (110, 32)

While I'm at it, saw a spinoff of the Stargate series the other day in which they refer to 'The Pegasus Galaxy'. NGC 7331 perhaps?

Actually, if you were that close to the galaxy, wouldn't be in some sort of danger......? :D

Just as an aside - Episode 3, when the Storm Troopers follow the droids down to Tattoine, and one of them picks up a washer and says "Look, Sir. Droids". Well, I know the man that has that very washer, along with a letter of provenance from Lucas. Worth around £3K. His total SW collection is over £58,000!!!!!

I read somewhere a long time ago....

It was in one of my wifes girlie magazines that he based his galaxy on the M31.

It is after all 2.2 million light years away plenty long enough the quote we all know.

If it was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away - then we might be able to observe it all now! as the light would take a long long time to get here. mmmmm.. had a look for the Death Star last night in M31 and couldn't find it so maybe it's not M31 after all. :D

BUT! With the force of those photon torpedos the Death Star was blasted way OUT of the galaxy. Today we call the echoes of that explosion M13.

Star Wars - Classic science fiction. Especially Leia in the chains/leather bikini, cant remember what the rest of the film was about....

....and who else would admit that they were slightly turned on by the blue alien singing???.

Actually, I have a good reason to like Star Wars, as I am related to on of the cast. Yes, my wife's mother is Jabba the Hutt.

8)

TJ

On that note, there are couple of quite amusing websites about how the destruction of the Death Star 2 would have devasted Endor with falling debris and wiped out the Ewoks in a global catastrophe (Ewoks! Not so cuddly... Scary shark eyes!)

After all, it was NOT in orbit, the construction site was far below where orbit would have been for it to be geosynchonous and all that stuff, nuclear, chemical and not forgetting mass would come straight down- And bear in mind it was a major fraction of the moons size in the first place.

So no loss there then.

Actually, I have a good reason to like Star Wars, as I am related to on of the cast. Yes, my wife's mother is Jabba the Hutt.

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

Archived