NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Long active USB cable

Nostromo

If you only want 6feet I would not bother with an active one. The USB Spec allows for cable lengths to 5metres so 6 feet should be fine. I got a 4.8m extension from Amazon for only 51pence! Plus £4.50 postage. This was for a belkin brand cable that cost over £25 in the shops! Works a treat, I have DSI, 2X USB/Serial converters, and the usb cable for the 350d all plugged in and have no problems with a 5m cable run.

Cheers thanks guys, I need this for quick refresh for focusing at full rez and my laptop hasn't the "pooerr" in the engine room as Scotty says... ah and it's cleared up nicely out there but of course Jupiter is stuck behind the most massive tree! :D Nick

If the laptop hasn't got the power then spend the money on a powered 4 port hub at the end of a 2m extension, that way you'll get the extra ports + they will all have 500ma power to give to every device, whereas an active cable I'm not sure if it will work if it can't draw the power to make itself 'active' on an underpowered laptop port and is only useful for a single device.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool thanks guys sorted out and working nicely with the autoguider and Shoestring GPUSB however the cable glitches on the other USB port when it tries to talk to the camera so now I'm looking into that. I think it's more my laptop than the cables or camera has anyone experienced issues with this kind of thing? Nick

(edited due to terrible spelling :)

Archived