NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accessories and Other Equipment

Hey everyone!

I have recently bought a Canon 1300d and am loving astrophotography, so I'm going to buy a EQ5 mount, in the hope I can track objects. Then, when I have the cash, I intend on buying a SW 150pds.

I would like to know a list of other things that I would need to buy as well as the mount and telescope (such a t adapter etc.) just so I can work out the overall cost.

Also, seeing as I want to track, I'll be needing to buy motors for the EQ5. Should I buy both of the motors, or would I be okay with just the RA? Do I need to supply my own battery for the motors? 

Thanks 

Maybe there are astro clubs in your area. Did you check that out? Members may have nice mounts in the offering... and could even deliver them to you...

The first thing to buy would be the book: 'making every photon count'. That will save you a lot of money by buying the right pieces of equipment for your purpose. It explains exactly what you need for what purpose. In imaging the mount is the base of everything, so maybe you can find something better than an EQ5 for the same money

Sadly the nearest astro club is hours away from me. I have considered mount and have decided on the EQ5, for its low price, yet stability, and alright payload capacity. I would have gone for the HEQ5, but with second hand definitely out of the option, I really can't afford it. I was going to order a copy of Making Every Photon Count, but for now could you please tell the other equipment I'd need?

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Are you interested in buying used? A used mount could open up a decent saving to be used elsewhere. 

I have to second that !

All of my gear was bought in very good used condition, I did have to wait a little while for stuff to come up fairly locally but it did save me a lot of £££ to be honest. More difficult if you don't have a way to collect stuff but perhaps still worth considering if you can scrounge a lift off a mate or something.

I was originally considering the SW 150PDS for imaging but after seeing lots of advice on this site I ended up going for the 130PDS. I don't regret that decision at all, I'm guessing the 130PDS is smaller and easier to handle, so maybe better for an EQ5 too ?

Anyway, it's really got me into imaging. This thread in particular was really helpful and inspiring.....

Good luck ! 

2 hours ago, M Astronomy said:

Hey everyone!

I have recently bought a Canon 1300d and am loving astrophotography, so I'm going to buy a EQ5 mount, in the hope I can track objects. Then, when I have the cash, I intend on buying a SW 150pds.

I would like to know a list of other things that I would need to buy as well as the mount and telescope (such a t adapter etc.) just so I can work out the overall cost.

Also, seeing as I want to track, I'll be needing to buy motors for the EQ5. Should I buy both of the motors, or would I be okay with just the RA? Do I need to supply my own battery for the motors? 

Thanks 

To try to start answering your questions...

To simply track the stars i.e. Counter the earth's rotation, all you need is a single RA motor. However, because your polar alignment is never perfect and the mount with have tolerances and periodic error, you always need to adjust in both to track accurately so I think it worth getting both motors. Ultimately Autoguiding will be the best route to longer exposures but I guess with careful setup you may get reasonable results unguided for shorter exposures. The 130PDS may well be a better option though as it will stress the mount less and lead to more accurate tracking. You will need a T adaptor to fit the camera to the focuser. Some have a T thread built in to the focuser so all you need is a T ring for the camera but worth checking this out.

Are you intending on using the mount with your DSLR in the first instance before getting your scope? If so then you will need a way of mounting the camera on the mount via a short dovetail bar.

The battery packs supplied are never very satisfactory, so yes I would budget for a separate power pack of some sort. They vary a lot in price, weight and capacity so if you let people know how much you want to spend, and how portable you need to be I'm sure you will get some useful responses.

Hope this helps a little!

5 hours ago, Stu said:

To try to start answering your questions...

To simply track the stars i.e. Counter the earth's rotation, all you need is a single RA motor. However, because your polar alignment is never perfect and the mount with have tolerances and periodic error, you always need to adjust in both to track accurately so I think it worth getting both motors. Ultimately Autoguiding will be the best route to longer exposures but I guess with careful setup you may get reasonable results unguided for shorter exposures. The 130PDS may well be a better option though as it will stress the mount less and lead to more accurate tracking. You will need a T adaptor to fit the camera to the focuser. Some have a T thread built in to the focuser so all you need is a T ring for the camera but worth checking this out.

Are you intending on using the mount with your DSLR in the first instance before getting your scope? If so then you will need a way of mounting the camera on the mount via a short dovetail bar.

The battery packs supplied are never very satisfactory, so yes I would budget for a separate power pack of some sort. They vary a lot in price, weight and capacity so if you let people know how much you want to spend, and how portable you need to be I'm sure you will get some useful responses.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks Stu! This really helps. I've heard the 130pds may be better suited to astrophotography, but my thoughts were that the inch extra of aperture the 150pds has would be good for visual, as I don't just want to do astrophotography. Do you know what adapters I'd need for my Canon DSLR and a 130pds/150pds (I assume they have the same focusser)? I do intend to use the mount for astrophotography with just the DSLR, so yeah, I'd need a dovetail bar. What do suggest for the power pack? I don't really know what my budget is, but I know it's not a lot, so if I don't have to spend a fortune on a power supply that'd help. On FLO, it says the motors require 6V, but I can only find power packs supplying 12V? Thanks for the help.

24 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

Thanks Stu! This really helps. I've heard the 130pds may be better suited to astrophotography, but my thoughts were that the inch extra of aperture the 150pds has would be good for visual, as I don't just want to do astrophotography. Do you know what adapters I'd need for my Canon DSLR and a 130pds/150pds (I assume they have the same focusser)? I do intend to use the mount for astrophotography with just the DSLR, so yeah, I'd need a dovetail bar. What do suggest for the power pack? I don't really know what my budget is, but I know it's not a lot, so if I don't have to spend a fortune on a power supply that'd help. On FLO, it says the motors require 6V, but I can only find power packs supplying 12V? Thanks for the help.

No problem :) 

Something like this should work for the dovetail, TS are fine to buy from although you may find something in the UK

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p237_TS-Dovetail-mounting-bar-Vixen-style---100-mm-buttonhole-and-1-4--Screw.html

For the remainder I think others need to advise you as there are lots of options. I think a coma corrector is a common accessory with both the 130 and 150PDS, in which case I think you need an M48 threaded ring for your camera to fit.

See this link

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-2-coma-corrector.html

There is a great thread on here about imaging with the 130PDS which may help you out.

Finally, I'm sorry but don't know about 6V powerpacks unfortunately. Again, worth asking more specific questions on the forum and hopefully someone will advise.

I would certainly have a think about budget and then see where this all fits! Read Making Every Photon Count first too :) 

Without a budget range it is difficult.

Can't you wait longer?

Can you save?

I started this year, haven't good budget, not even for a good cheap mount, but i kept waiting and saving, then i started to buy items one by one, not in rush at all, i was going to buy AVX as starter, but in another forum they suggested me slowly to go with EQ5, then slowly i looked at EQ6, i knew i am going higher with money so i tried to limit myself, even with EQ6 they told me it is not the high top end one yet, i ended up with AZ-EQ6 because i wanted AZ for visual and EQ6 has slightly more load than EQ5, it is an expensive mount for sure, but looking at it as overall i think i did a good choice, no regret here, AZ-EQ5 also a good choice, but if you can save you can go with HEQ5 at least, and buy a mount with a motor rather than adding it later, you may save this way better.

If you will use a DSLR then definitely a T adapter/ring, also there are dovetails for DSLR, but i thought you mount a scope or lens not a camera, unless you buy a mount that using camera to be mounted, i don't mount any of my camera on my mount, only scope or lens.

Don't think too much about accessories now, i was thinking the same, but at the end the main things are things that you will always use such as the mount itself, a camera whatever, and an optic either a scope or lens, if you combine them with cables to be connected to computer or storage/data acquisition device then you are almost done, later you can add more accessories such as filters, extensions, filter wheel, ...etc.

Good luck in your falling down in the Rabbit Hole, it will be dark enough there so you can take images of sky, just i hope it will be clear, hehehe

Tareq

I absolutely agree with the 130PDS. The 150 will strain your mount and will probably a disappointment
Modifying your Canon would a good thing. Different mods are available, also one that leaves you the option to make normal pictures during daytime
Waiting a little while saving for the HEQ5 would save you money and headaches...
The Canon adapter with T-ring is a must if you want to connect to a telescope
Also a comacorrector for your PDS 130/150 will be sort of mandatory.

But... take it slowly, educate yourself before buying anything by reading that great book a couple of times, until you really understand what it is teaching you. Then decide on what you really need and go for it. Having to buy things twice is much more expensive then doing it right from start.

49 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

Waiting a little while saving for the HEQ5 would save you money and headaches...

This is the advice I followed and I think it is good advice. Everyone told me that the mount is probably the most important thing to invest money in and to get the best possible mount I could afford.

I ended up with a decent 2nd hand HEQ5 pro for £450. A lot of dosh for me and I had to save up longer to afford it but that gave me time to research stuff a bit more and I'm pleased that I've ended up with a pretty solid mount for getting started with astrophotography.  

Thanks for all the replies. With everyone's comments about saving up for an HEQ5, I might just do that. However, I'd like to buy a Skywatcher Star Adventurer first though. I can then get to grips with the equatorial mount system, learn to stack in DSS and take some good pictures that will hopefully satisfy me while I save up for the HEQ5. And when I eventually get the HEQ5, I'd still use the Star Adventurer for its portability so I can take it to even darker skies than I have. How do you think this idea sounds? (Oh and I'm going to order copy of Making Every Photon Count.)

16 minutes ago, M Astronomy said:

Thanks for all the replies. With everyone's comments about saving up for an HEQ5, I might just do that. However, I'd like to buy a Skywatcher Star Adventurer first though. I can then get to grips with the equatorial mount system, learn to stack in DSS and take some good pictures that will hopefully satisfy me while I save up for the HEQ5. And when I eventually get the EQ5, I'd still use the Star Adventurer for its portability so I can take it to even darker skies than I have. How do you think this idea sounds? (Oh and I'm going to order copy of Making Every Photon Count.)

I think you are on the right track!
Be aware the Star adventurer only tracks on RA, so you need a very good polar alignment to do 'longer' subs. The shorter the focal length of the used lens or scope the longer your subs can be. It is all about trial and error, but with a little experience you will do fine.

10 hours ago, M Astronomy said:

Thanks Waldemar. I think I'll wait and read Making Every Photon Count before I make any purchases but the Skywatcher Star Adventurer does look like an interesting piece of kit for the money. Can't wait to take some nice wide fields! :icon_biggrin:

That is the smartest thing you can do at the moment. And do not expect you will be able to make 'nice' pictures right away. AP is a steep learning curve and a lot of pitfalls are on your way. Patience and perseverance are the tools necessary for result. 
Good luck and I hope you will make some satisfying pictures!

Archived