NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser 102S "Comet Edition" - Bit of an oddity ?

I can only think that they did that to reduce the length so that it would fit into the bag. The only other reason could be money saving but I don't see how that would be any cheaper than a "normal" design with an inline focuser. 

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's a strange one, saw it a while ago. I'm guessing there is a large angled flat in the back end of the tube?

I've seen another photo somewhere that shows collimation screws on the back end so you must be right Stu. F/4.5 so it could be "colourful" on bright objects at medium to high power. When you 1st look at the scope you do a sort of "double take" because it looks like a small newt pointing the wrong way !

One possible, and I emphasise possible benefit is that the balance would probably change less due to focus travel as it moves perpendicular to the normal direction. Might not make any difference though, and having to collimate a fast frac sounds like a challenge I could do without!

Some unkind folks on another forum reckon that it might be made up of parts left over from more regular refractor and newtonian designs. A sort of "frankenscope". Personally I doubt this is the case though :icon_scratch:

What ticks me off are the scopes advertised below, to me the most important part of an outfit is the mount, it needs to be solid and unmovable. Those scopes as are many in chain stores  and catalogues have the cheapest and most wobbly mounts. Because of there price  range they end up as xmas and birthday presents and then the tip. Rant over.

1 hour ago, Wobbly Bob said:

What ticks me off are the scopes advertised below, to me the most important part of an outfit is the mount, it needs to be solid and unmovable. Those scopes as are many in chain stores  and catalogues have the cheapest and most wobbly mounts. Because of there price  range they end up as xmas and birthday presents and then the tip. Rant over.

It's a fair point. Quite a few scope packages include an inadequate mount, unfortunately. I guess it's all about hitting a price point for the manufacturers but a false economy if you can't get decent use from the scope !

Archived