Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are these working on Windows 10?

I know that windows 10 has been around for a few months now, so even Microsoft should have been able to iron-out any bugs by now, but, before forking out for a new laptop, I thought it worth checking if anyone has encountered any problems running any of the below-listed programs/hardware running on win10.

Thanks.

Cdc [with UCAC4]
ASCOM/EQMOD [linked to NEQ6]
Polemaster
Astrotortilla
PHD
Sharpcap
APT
EOSUtils
SX filter wheel
QHY5II
ZWO ASI 1600

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (?!) to find out that all the programs listed (and many more) work 110% under Win10 64.

I can personally vouch for:

EOSUtil

QHY5

ASI 174

Cdc [with UCAC4]
ASCOM/EQMOD [linked to NEQ6]
All Sky Plate Solver
Astrotortilla
PHD (1 and 2)
Sharpcap

FireCapture
AstroArt

AstroPlanner

Registax (5 and 6)

AS3!

imPPG

C2A

No issues, no drama.

Mmm ... so I might need a new lead ... Are you running the mount via USB 2 or 3?

So many variables ... maybe I should clarify a little ... my mount [EQMOD/ASCOM] will be connected via usb2; the QHY5II (guidecam) & filter wheel (both usb2) will be plugged into the (ZWO) camera hub, which will be connected via usb3 to the laptop. [If I use the canon, then all four will have to be plugged into a (separate) hub and run on usb2, but I don't foresee that happening very much with the nice big size of the (cooled) 1600 chip.]

Thanks.

I'm using USB 2 on all mine, got a new cable after WIN 10 updates kept wrecking the work round.
The mount goto is CdC via the new cable, my guiding is stand alone Lacerta so no problem there.
I have one USB 2 or the mount and one for Artemis Atik 383L and one for wireless game pad.
All work fine on A Samsung i3 laptop.

Hard to say with your setup but if you have upto date gear and drivers would think it would be ok.

1 minute ago, Merlin66 said:

I’ve survived the latest Win 10update, and everything is still working OK

Was that the creator pack update?, mine downloaded a security update first that did require some programs to also require updates for new "signatures".

Alan

I'm not too worried about windows updates. Once I have all my software installed, I intend to disable all internet activity (and if possible completely remove it). The new machine is to be for astro-imaging only, so don't anticipate much change to software (if it works why change it?) and the internet is just a massive drain on resources if it is not needed. Any new progs I actually want, I can download on my  desktop and copy across with a flashdrive.

Win 10 is fine nowadays mostly, if it's a clean install, updates from 7 or 8 still seem buggy.

What peeves me is that it will update when it feels like it ! And it needs rocket science to stop it updating automatically.

It will be a new (probably refurbished) machine that will come with Win 10, so hopefully it has been installed fresh.

I know what you mean about updates ... not so much updates themselves as the "I'm going to reboot now despite the fact you left me running an 8-hour program and this will completely ruin the entire session" approach.

As this machine will be exclusively for imaging, so it won't need internet access, maybe the easiest way to stop updates will be for me to just delete the wifi password after I have got all the software I want on it. I guess it will still want to waste resources looking for a connection to find upgrades, but ...

You Can't Have Everything

... have I just invented a new slogan for Microsoft?

All you have to do to stop updates is turn the "metered connection" option on, you can still browse if you want at this point but turning off the connection is easy too if you want it totally offline.

My updates never happen at awkward moments although I am still downloading the creators pack, started at 6 am this morning and only just hit 50% now :icon_biggrin:

Alan

6 hours ago, knobby said:

What peeves me is that it will update when it feels like it ! And it needs rocket science to stop it updating automatically.

It's very easy to stop this.  As @Alien 13has noted on other threads you can set the connection to metered and it won't automatically update then.  This will be fine on a fixed PC where you are not intending on moving it to other connections, and where you aren't fussed about some of the Windows tiles working fully (you won't use these on an astro PC).

The other method is using W10 Pro but, in this instance where no updates at all are required, a metered connection should work fine.

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

All you have to do to stop updates is turn the "metered connection" option on, you can still browse if you want at this point but turning off the connection is easy too if you want it totally offline.

My updates never happen at awkward moments although I am still downloading the creators pack, started at 6 am this morning and only just hit 50% now :icon_biggrin:

Alan

Beat me to it :icon_biggrin:

Archived