Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do you ever get used to 'looking forward' to Winter?

BeerMe

One thing I'm finding as the seasons go by is that I'm having to relearn the sky each time. Not the main constellations but some of the interesting stuff inbetween. So it like rediscovering the sky as the year comes around again. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like autumn. Favorite season!

The nights are dark enough to stargaze but there is still some light in the early evening to get out and about in.

Astronomy is just aspect of the natural world that fascinates me. Cloudy or clear, there is always something happening of interest, even if that's the clouds themselves!

I like all seasons; there's something valuable in all of them. There's so much on the go at the moment that the wet and cloudy days enables me to work on various projects in the workshop, or stuff on the go indoors. Plus a heap of books to catch up on. New stuff to learn.

We had a fab, dry spring and early Summer which saw us getting out on the hills during the day during our free time, bombing around the place during the night for astro-related pursuits. The rainier days are for rest and catchup! Me, I like being productive...  :D

"The Four Seasons"    Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Ah! Fantastic . I saw the Jersey Boys in London last year.
Just as much, I like our Four Seasons too, Spring to Winter brings much variation to the British climate.
Unfortunately, it isn't conducive to Astronomy, the frustrations that build have played havoc with the ability to do prolonged
Observing or Imaging, and project continuity is very badly affected as a result, and been the reason for many to quit altogether.
A great shame really.

This will be first autumn and full winter since getting my telescope. I’m not sure that I find myself looking forward to winter but it is nice not to mourn the end of summer. The dark evenings now have something exciting to offer. It’s not usual plans to hibernate with copious amounts of mulled wine. This winter the mulled wine will be keeping me warm outside ;) 

Just to clarify..

I love Winter for the long nights, and the increased possibility of getting some observing in.  Summer is a washout at 56° N, so even on the occasional nice Summer evenings that we get, we just don't get close enough to astro darkness to make observing worthwhile. 

This Autumn has actually been pretty good so far, but it's been lucky snatches of weather so far where the forecast has been a case of 'maybe' - I can't drive 20-30 miles to a dark site with my 10" Dob on a 'maybe' most nights.  At least in Winter, the forecasts seem to be a bit more definite, even if it's mostly crap.

I am very disappointed that August, the whole of September and, so far, early October have been lost to incessant, endless cloud and the "grey perma-cover" as I am starting to call it.   Autumn has been the best time of year in recent years but not this year, apparently.  We can only hope it gets better this year as we head into winter but, I am not too hopeful.

Archived