Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil,Sh2-91

jetstream

Very good transparency after last nights severe thunderstorm with the sky at 21.6 on the SQM.

I revisited a toughish object tonight SH2-91 the "Little Veil" nebula and no problems were encountered. The fine streak sat right where I observed it last time and it showed well for such a faint object. The 15"/Lunt20mm HDC/Lumicon OIII made short work of it.

Now the Veil... I got the "tube" in the western Veil with no filter tonight and feel rather rewarded by this actually. The Eastern Veil revealed the triangle shape detached patch at its tip pretty easy too, along with that extremely faint thin thread near it.

A fine night really!

With the filters the Western Veil displayed a nicely twisted set of intertwined filaments near and along the tube and with the 3rd split in the broom showing in direct vision. Pickerings Wisp was a twisted mass of nebulosity tonight, boy does it have some deep structure.

For the finale I observed M33 displaying its high skew 2 blade propeller plain as day with the 15"/Doc 12.5mm UWA. Of course more was observed but reporting that could make the story too long!

Wonderful stuff Gerry, sounds like an excellent sky even in the context of your normal sky conditions. Seeing sychvdetail in the Veil must be amazing, Pickering's triangle has only ever been a very subtle feature to me.

Keep the reports coming, short or long, doesn't matter :) 

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Awesome report, Gerry. Did you take a look at NGC 604 in M33? 

Hi Neil, thank you.

I was too distracted by a sparkling point source in M31's core to remember to view NGC 604 ....:grin: ( actually, yes I obs the HII stuff). Last night M33's spirals grabbed and held my attention, I would obs it for a minute go to something else and come back- those spiral arms are truly amazing. Under good conditions there is no guessing, no teasing them out of the glow they just kind of hit you in the face!

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Hi Neil, thank you.

I was too distracted by a sparkling point source in M31's core to remember to view NGC 604 ....:grin: ( actually, yes I obs the HII stuff). Last night M33's spirals grabbed and held my attention, I would obs it for a minute go to something else and come back- those spiral arms are truly amazing. Under good conditions there is no guessing, no teasing them out of the glow they just kind of hit you in the face!

Sounds great, Gerry. Really ignites the imagination thinking about what the views must be like under those conditions. If all goes to plan I should be able to observe at a dark site tomorrow night. The website says SQM of 21 or better! M33 will be definitely be on my observing list for that. Fingers crossed I get to admire those spirals too :) 

Very fine conditions to observe in following that thunder storm Gerry. Interesting descriptive account. Also concerning the Little Veil, that is reassuring that you were able to repeat this observation and with a degree of clarity accounting for its challenging nature, in the right circumstances, continues to be something I would like to try for.  

It's cloudy here, so plenty of time for a longer story, Gerry! ;) 

Very nice result for you there, and it must be something to pick out the filaments of the Veil. I really should boost magnification on this next time. I'm assuming extra dark skies will be a huge help in making out those details.  Clear skies 

5 hours ago, Special K said:

It's cloudy here, so plenty of time for a longer story, Gerry! ;) 

Very nice result for you there, and it must be something to pick out the filaments of the Veil. I really should boost magnification on this next time. I'm assuming extra dark skies will be a huge help in making out those details.  Clear skies 

You know Kevin, getting these views has been a process in numerous ways for me, from learning about the equipment to moving to dark skies. One thing that helps a lot IMHO is to observe the same targets over and over and with different scopes. Doing this just might help our ability to see more....

Yes, try everything, more mag less mag, change scopes and for sure try to get as much dark sky observing as possible. I do "loops" of favorite targets and one notable object that really stood out was the Pacman nebula with its dark lanes cutting out its mouth.

Eagerly waiting your report Kevin!

ps- one of the first times I had the filaments strike me was with a 25mm Super plossl and a 10" dob/OIII...

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

How does sh91 and the veil compare size and thickness wise... trying to get my expectations set for my next assault on sh91!

PEterW

It would depend on how much you can see of it... the whole object is large but we can only see a few portions and mainly that streak through HIP96687. When searching for this one I would not use a preconceived image of the Veil to find it. There is a larger but fainter section of this neb that can be seen, I'm eagerly waiting your report on how you see this nebula Peter.

I want to understand how long and thin it is likely to appear.. for instance the crescent looks like a tiny circlet of stars in my 80mm... the west veil is thin but visible. I am reckoning I need  more than the 280mm (ish) focal length I usually use to expand the image scale if it's especially thin... a super fast 6" would be good, but unobtanium.

PEter

Well we see the Crescent differently- I concentrate on the triangle of stars and in a small scope (90mm frac/130 Heritage) a small but "bright" streak connects two of these stars, a bit more can be seen if trying hard. What set up are you using for the Little Veil? The nightvision?

Focal length is your friend for conventional viewing and I would think your enhanced views should pick it up pretty easy? If you see anything but stars around V2086 it must be the easiest wisp of SH2-91.

"The tool", a (slightly) reduced 80mm f4 finder with NV on the back and a narrow filter. My next step up is currently an 8" which is *far* less portable. Wide field, good for many properly large nebulae, but lacks detail on more "conventional" targets. Star brightnessess are all messed up as it sees red stars brighter, so starhopping is hard, reminds me that I need to get working on my laser pointer mod to help me better locate fields.

PEter

Use the chain of stars on the wrong side of 12 Cygni as a guide, its unmistakable. In my 10" the little veil is pretty small but it does extend between V2086 and the "other" star a bit away- I forget the name of it. The 15" really helps this object increasing its size in the eyepiece at the exit pupil I need and narrowing down the field similar to what my zoom does in the 10".

You might want to narrow the field for this object peter, a really wide field would most likely "light up" with nebs in the area...

22 hours ago, jetstream said:

.... One thing that helps a lot IMHO is to observe the same targets over and over and with different scopes. Doing this just might help our ability to see more....

Absolutely Gerry - I agree 100% :thumbright:

Gaining familliarity with a target is a great way to get more out of it. I reckon you develop, almost unconciously, ways of observing particular objects that tease the best out of them, but you need to keep observing them for this to happen.

Archived