Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best EP's for a PST?

Flyingpig

Thanks guys the Plossl design doesn't really surprise me, Just as with planetary  astronomy the Plossl is a fantastic performer. 

I am much more surprised by the Baader Zoom I've never really been greatly impressed by zoom ep's although the Baader is by far the best zoom I've had the pleasure of trying. 

Do any observational (or ccd) filters work well with Ha? 

The Baader Mk3 works fine on mine with or without the Barlow. It does sit well down on the holding thumb screw. My PST is an older model, so specifications may have changed????

Zooms do have their fans for night use. The Baader is the only one that I have tried, but I found that it came up woefully short (in my overly picky opinion). However, in the higher light conditions of Solar viewing. I find it the an excellent tool. Strangely, my night time weapons of choice, the Delos range, are difficult to use in daylight.

Maybe a case of 'try before you buy'. Or, stick to the Plossl route until you get the chance to try one. We all agree that they work well!

Paul

Understood.

The only additional filtering which could/ would be useful is to add a further Ha etalon and turn the PST into a "Double stack".

This effectively reduces the bandwidth to around 0.5A (0.05nm) and enhances the surface detail on the Sun.

Solar Ha (and CaK) observing/ imaging is a unique area....... and expensive!!

(Just a comment: the PST when designed and released in 2003 it was as a visual instrument. Adapting it for imaging can be problematic)

Ha. Merlin got there first! I really glad that my post wasn't at odds with his ? There aren't many that know more about PST's than him.

Enjoy your new scope. It will take a bit of practice to get the best views, but it is well worth the effort. 

Paul

PS. Better get saving nice the Double Stack unit now.... ??

I can confirm that my Baader Mk IV zoom also achieves focus with the PST I have on loan from my local Astro group (not sure of vintage but it has a blueish objective).

I find it difficult to focus the zoom at shorter than 16mm, but I also find it difficult to focus with my Plossls that are shorter than 16mm as well, so maybe its just me.

I tend to do most of my observing in the 32mm - 16mm range as I find it difficult to focus at high powers and I find that lower magnifications offer more contrast even though the details are much smaller.

Ade 

The PST should come to focus easily within the 10 to 15mm range above that (at higher mags) really requires good to v good

seeing ... simple (Japan) plossls are best overall for contrast but the Hype Zoom seems is one of those rare exceptions that

works very well with it.

Brian 

Archived