NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lobster Claw Mosaic

johnrt

What do you do if you haven't really achieved much imaging since March? Set yourself an over ambitious project like a 4 panel 12 our mosaic of course! Throughly expecting to still be working on this at Xmas, 6 days later I'm done! Looks like I picked the right week off work!

I was worried my black point was too high, but I'm convinced the surrounding area is all signal in the image, this is one busy (an large) area of nebula!

3 hours per panel with the 3nm Astrodon, 6" RC and Atik 460ex.

I hope you like :)

37049411456_1a9780792f_b.jpg

John.

Ooooh, super. And a relief to have you back, John.

I'm sure you're right about the black point and the area being suffused by signal. My only thought would be that, with this amount of room above the clipping point, you might go for more local contrast. On the other hand this has your signature 'natural' look and needs no interference from me...

Seamless construction, too. Which software did you use for the mosaic?

Olly

Thank you Barry & Olly! How heart warming to be missed! I could wander off for hours before the Mrs even noticed :D

Perhaps you're right Olly, there could be a little room left to enhance the contrast just a touch, this nebula processing is complicated compared to my normal galaxy images, you know where you are with a good old fashioned galaxy :)

This was stiched wih the gardient merge mosaic tool in Pixinsight, which normally gives me terrible trouble, but for some reason worked a treat this time. I have dowlnladed APP to have a play, but I haven't had chance to run thris through using it yet.

Archived