Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Better than nothing... NGC 7380 in Ha- 13/09/08

Whippy

Pretty rough night last night. Full Moon, dew was atrocious, seeing was fairly steady but pretty grim but I perservered and managed this. Lots of aggro for one reason or another but going on previous weather, this is probably my warm up for Kelling! All things considered, I'm pretty happy with this.

Anyhoo, NGC 7380. Various exposure times but a total of 2hrs 3 mins taken with an Atik 16HR with an Astronomik 13Nm Ha filter through a WO ZS110. Guided by a QHY5, WO ZS66 and PHD. Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop.

8334_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Well done for getting ANYTHING last night :(

I got all set up, waited for over an hour, thick clouds rolled in, packed everything away as I was tired anyway, checked the skies just before rolling in to bed and they were clear, but very misty and the moon had a huge halo across half the sky, and the streetlamps were already developing halo's in the mistiness.

Oh well, at least it didn't rain :D

Nice one Whippy...

I'm startign to really like the narrow band images but i'm all DSLR or OSC CCD's can I do any narrow band imaging with them?

I had my best night since the OBS has been built even with the "enemy" at full strength..

Billy...

Cheers Billy :D . To my knowledge certain colour chips have better Ha sensitivity than others. I know SteveL manages it with his QHY8 for example. TBH if it wasn't for the HA filter, I thin I would have only managed one or two images this year purely because it's only ever clear when the Moon is out round here!

When I'm suitably flush, I'll definately be looking to an OIII and probably an SII filter for some false colour action. I'm rapidly coming round to the idea that it's worth spending the money .

Steve, Tim, thank you :( . As an example to how much moisture there was, I've just gone out into the garden and the grass is drier now than it was last night!

Tony..

Kevin, it's in the same Cepheus/Cassiopea area as NGC 281, IC 1396 and friends. This is a pretty servere crop too because of various problems that occured during the night. A Google images search should find you some proper version :D .

here we go: ?object=ngc7380

Tony..

Now that's how it's done Roy, I do fancy another go at this and if it's anything like your version I'll be quite chuffed :D .

Ron, you may have seen this before but it's one of my faves: http://messier45.com/cgi-bin/dsdb/dsb.pl . Just put in say, 'nebulae in cepheus' in the search box and off you go. If you select an object and go to the details page, there's a Google images button. All the pretty pictures you need!

Tony...

Kevin, it's in the same Cepheus/Cassiopea area as NGC 281, IC 1396 and friends. This is a pretty servere crop too because of various problems that occured during the night. A Google images search should find you some proper version :D .

here we go:

Tony..

Thanks Tony I see from a net search its called the Wizard Nebula.

Regards

Kevin

Archived