Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Something wrong with this PST?

moriniboy

3 hours ago, moriniboy said:

Anyone notice what's wrong with this PST. Hope no one from here shelled out £300 for this.

image.png

It might be better if it is someone from here, so that there is a chance they see this and don't use it. Did the comments pick up the issue? Any chance that the buyer knows there is a problem with it? 

Between the end of the gold tube and the black box there should be an etalon assembly which makes the PST a H alpha scope.

without the etalon it's basically a useless small achromatic scope.

Very, very dangerous to use as a solar telescope.

22 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Can you explain what's wrong with it?

I see it was on a face book page

The most important part of the assembly, the etalon which essentially separates the hydrogen-alpha line from the spectrum, is missing! This fits between the "gold" tube and the black body.

I accidently took one like this to Tenerife. I usually take a PST with me as I have to wait quite a while for the Sun to rise over my apartment before I can use my larger solar telescope so the PST can be used elsewhere in the meantime. I had hurriedly assembled it before flying out and had forgotten to screw in an etalon. Fortunately no harm was done as the PST doesn't work without it.   :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

The most important part of the assembly, the etalon which essentially separates the hydrogen-alpha line from the spectrum, is missing! This fits between the "gold" tube and the black body.

I accidently took one like this to Tenerife. I usually take a PST with me as I have to wait quite a while for the Sun to rise over my apartment before I can use my larger solar telescope so the PST can be used elsewhere in the meantime. I had hurriedly assembled it before flying out and had forgotten to screw in an etalon. Fortunately no harm was done as the PST doesn't work without it.   :icon_biggrin:

It doesn't work without it? That is good, I had assumed it would just pass all the light without the etalon. 

Archived