NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

~6 hours of imaging, ~2 hours of barely usable subs...

StuartJPP

...so pretty typical for UK imaging then :)

Friday's weather prediction for Saturday night in and around Horncastle was clear skies, but as time got closer to crunch time, the clouds started forming, not only on the weather site but also in the skies. Since I haven't been out for ages I thought I'd set up anyway. I didn't expect it to be a great night for imaging, possibility of mist if it was clear, and it was quite warm so I thought that I'd abandon plans for a faint object and try to nail M31 instead. I still haven't imaged it properly since starting to use my Canon 6D almost 3 years ago.

So setup was quite quick and easy, especially since I trimmed all my cables and routed them for no snagging about 6 months ago. Polar alignment was with PoleMaster and was a breeze, everything was just right, except that as soon as I was polar aligned, the cloud came in at around ~22:00pm. After about an hour of waiting, I managed to get about 7 semi-decent subs before the cloud once again came rolling in at ~23:45. Then another wait of about an hour and a half. So at about 01:30 it cleared up and I managed to get another ~25 subs of varying quality, they weren't too bad but certainly not great.

Because the street lights have been replaced with LED ones I didn't use the IDAS LPS D1 filter at all, which is a first for me from this site. The subs were quite a bit orange but they corrected decently enough.

Anyway, enough waffle. Here's my initial processing attempt.

Baader modified Canon 6D
Canon 500mm f/4 L IS @ f/4
32 x 300 second subs at ISO800
100 Bias
25 flats
No Darks
Avalon Instruments M-Zero
PHD2 and QHY5L-II-M and miniGuideScope for guiding
APT for image acquisition, GOTO++, plate solving and dithering

Thanks for looking and as always comments and criticisms appreciated.

36033275504_4024e1c0a2_h.jpg
M31 - Andromeda Galaxy by Stuart, on Flickr

Corner crops of an unprocessed sub (should have used the IDAS filter as there still seems to be some Sodium LP in the area):
Corners.thumb.png.9a5007ff3e644cec64f43ec048cce00d.png

PHD2 Log:
PHD2GuideLog.thumb.png.7ccc4548a6a26e1dc3eecc2940bbeea3.png

The setup for those who haven't seen it:
05_Fitted.jpg

06_Fitted.jpg

How the weather changed from Friday evening to Saturday evening (I know I shouldn't be using BBC Weather but I find it just as inaccurate as all the other weather sites):
GIFMaker.org_E12VUV.gif.081fe54249e4c6d8b8d5f66a50760bc1.gif

For 2 hours, that is pretty spesh. Gawd knows how good it would have been if all 6 hours was useable. You had pretty much the same night as me, a bit on/off... however tonight is looking much better.... get out there and fill yer boots!

Thanks for the comments everyone! :hello:

3 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

For 2 hours, that is pretty spesh. Gawd knows how good it would have been if all 6 hours was useable. You had pretty much the same night as me, a bit on/off... however tonight is looking much better.... get out there and fill yer boots!

Thanks, but I can't as we are back home now and it is work tomorrow :homework:   I would have loved to have collected 6 hours of decent subs on this target...then I think it would have been done and dusted. It will be another few billion years before we collide so plenty of time left and I don't intend on changing my kit any time soon so should be able to add to it when the opportunity arises once more.

19 hours ago, gnomus said:

'6 hours ... [resulting in only] ... 2 hours of barely usable ....'    Pull the other one Stu, that is a cracker.  The colours are especially good.

Probably should have said "barely 2 hours of subs semi decent subs" instead....I am quite pleased (and surprised) with the result to be honest....but would have been awesome getting 6 hours on it.

Archived