Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xmas Lights In August?????

JohnSadlerAstro

I was horrified to learn that some shops were already starting Christmas stuff Mid-August. I'm wondering whether they should start permanent stocking Xmas cards and decorations. But what has shocked me EVEN MORE :shocked: is that FIRST LIGHT OPTICS THEMSELVES have started doing it too. 

You want proof? Look at this screenshot.

Capture.JPG.6fcc4adcbe4d2f0b2e033430c14248c6.JPG

If those aren't Xmas lights I don't know what are.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

John

PS. On a more serious note, how do I make sense of all this? Tonight doesnt look all that good, though I wont be able to go out anyway, Sunday night looks kind of OK, Monday could be anything, and on Tuesday it looks like DPRK nuked Chippenham (sry mods ;)). Does anyone have suggestions for how best to get sensible indications of *dependable* nights for imaging?

43 minutes ago, Starlight 1 said:

Working out weather you can try this , in the UK we have more wind coming from the West ,so if you see a red sky with a  west wind you have clear skys that night...

....at the beginning the night until clouds roll in 1 hour, maybe 2 hours (if your lucky) after you get set up 

6 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Does anyone have suggestions for how best to get sensible indications of *dependable* nights for imaging?

All you need is Sat24 really (and looking out of the window!), as forecasts are usually just a pointer to what might be (more of an alert if anything else). If you use satellite images as part of your planning, you can usually take a pretty good guess as to where any cloud is headed over the next couple of hours - apart from really low stuff which always seems to elude IR images (or its hard to make out).

http://en.sat24.com/en

The church at the cross roads of Magdalene and Chesterton fairly close to Cambridge centre had a table/stall/stand outside selling Christmas cards yesterday. Don't know if that was the first day or if they had started earlier in the month.

Archived