SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NASA Eclipse webcast

ringz

I quite like all of the education pieces, don't forget there's dozens of locations along the track that they'll be streaming the eclipse from as it travels. Also don't forget NASA's primary purpose which is research/education etc. Keep watching, I'm personally looking forward to the views from the balloons.

I do agree though that they seem to be trying a little too hard, but that's always the way with NASA PR. BUT it's all worth it. Just look at that:

599b1b282fd7e_ScreenShot2017-08-21at17_40_44.thumb.png.a868a0e16e1bb8ea46abbce8dbff2da6.png

I thought they did ham it up.

My feed kept dropping. So I switched to USA Today's coverage from Salem.

This coverage was better than NASA TV 

The eclipse was longer there too. On my laptop. It looked breathtaking.

I am grateful for the internet, to let us watch these celestial events live. 

34 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

When is 'live' actually 'live'?  As I was watching something else on the TV, got my tablet to watch the NASA YouTube feed, the YT app was running @15sec earlier than the YT feed in my laptop browser!

Interesting.

Have you ever spilled strawberry jam on your laptop. That would slow it down.

Only other thing I can think of is how connections are made to servers. Each connection to a server will be ported through a TCP/IP "socket" that is configured according to the momentary hardware, software and internet status. So connecting to the same stream with different devices at different times in the stream can result in very different traffic routes and processing lags.

Well, its sounds feasible to me! :)

PS, I know more about Jam than computers :)

47 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Interesting.

Have you ever spilled strawberry jam on your laptop. That would slow it down.

Only other thing I can think of is how connections are made to servers. Each connection to a server will be ported through a TCP/IP "socket" that is configured according to the momentary hardware, software and internet status. So connecting to the same stream with different devices at different times in the stream can result in very different traffic routes and processing lags.

Well, its sounds feasible to me! :)

PS, I know more about Jam than computers :)

Terrestrial versus satellite transmission would also make a difference, as would the protocol of different broadcasters rules as to how many seconds/minutes delay there should be to allow them ensure nothing untoward is broadcast.

But I think the strawberry jam hypothesis is the most compelling :wink: 

I got a more stable feed from a US tv station, but it was delayed.

The NASA one kept looping the audio so i had to reload which took a minute or two each time.

I only got a NASA live scope feed to load once but it crashed after a few minutes.

I saw a real-time of the ISS transit.

Archived