Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New AR just arrived! 20th August 2017

Stu

Popped the scopes out this morning to grab a look at the big AR, and was delighted to see a new AR that has just come around the corner. It is just visible on this snap off Solar Monitor.

AR12671 is looking amazing, and huge right in the centre of the disk.

Again, there are some lovely proms on show. There is a nice high contrast arc at say 1 O'clock which looks like it is going to show some action, will check it again in a few minutes.

IMG_3367.PNG

I'll post these in the StuPOD thread too, but these are phone snaps through the binoviewers. Looks like I caught the new AR too :) 

First one as taken, second cropped and a little processing. Next two just closer crops and a little more fiddling :) 

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

15 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Just taken out the PST and DS and AR2671 is extremely active - fantastic view. There is also, as you stated, another active area on the South East side at a orientation at about 150 degrees. There going to have fund tomorrow in the United States :happy11:.

Keep an eye on the new AR Mark, very active!

21 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Just taken out the PST and DS and AR2671 is extremely active - fantastic view. There is also, as you stated, another active area on the South East side at a orientation at about 150 degrees. There going to have fund tomorrow in the United States :happy11:.

I thought you were planning to be in the States for the big show, Mark?

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'll post these in the StuPOD thread too, but these are phone snaps through the binoviewers. Looks like I caught the new AR too :) 

First one as taken, second cropped and a little processing. Next two just closer crops and a little more fiddling :) 

Nice pics, Stu - this is the biggest AR I have seen for a long time and it's nice to see some activity after the last few months of drought :smile: 

1 minute ago, DRT said:

I thought you were planning to be in the States for the big show, Mark?

I was Derek. I was going to stay with my Son near San Francisco but I could not find any suitable accommodation near Madras - Oregan. I did not fancy the 9 hour drive, sleeping in the car, then driving the 9 hours back. By the look of the traffic going to Madras I might have spent several nights in the car.

In the end I felt it was too much hassle so I am hoping to view the partial eclipse tomorrow if it stay clear to the horizon.

I'm only managing to get quick views through gaps in the cloud. Just had my first look at it through the Lunt 50 Ha and there is lots of activity around the limb, including a sizeable thin loop sticking out from behind the new AR. Perhaps more of that to come around the limb later? 

I want to get the Quark and 152 out but I know that as soon as I set it up those gaps in the cloud will close :clouds1:

I noticed that, later on in the morning it was possible to detect that the new AR had rotated slightly further onto the disk. It had opened out just a fraction and the lines representing other parts of the AR running up the limb had thickened a little.

Forecast pretty poor for a few days I think, lucky to see it today.

Archived