Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Daisy chain pillar mount extensions

AlistairW

Hello,

This is probably lunacy, but I need some extra height to get over a garden wall. If I were to fully extend my tripod, and then put a further 80cm of height I would be ok. So I was thinking in order to get the 80cm is it even possible to connect two HEQ5 pillar extensions (from Skywatcher). Then connect the double pillar extension to the tripod, and finally the mount to the top of the extension ? Total height would be about 162cm and I would be putting 10kg of OTA\imaging gear on top.

Lunacy ?

Thanks

Alistair

You can connect 2 of the pillar extensions together - their fittings at either end are standard EQ5/HEQ5 male at the bottom, female at the top. The Berlebach UNI 28 tripod extends to 163cm but thats a more expensive option of course. Not sure how stable 10kg of gear on top of the double pillar would be though :icon_scratch:

Maybe a full pillar plus pillar extension would be better ?:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/skywatcher-pillar-tripod-support-for-eq5-and-heq5-mount.html

You certainly could physically do this as the part will all fit but I think it will be problematic and prone to 'ringing'. John's solution, although more costly, looks a better bet. With the way trees are growing all around me at the moment, I could do with a 20 foot extension ..........

Alastair I have a Berlebach Uni-18 tripod and for a time I had a 16" pillar extension to gain extra height to use my 4" APO Frac. I thought it was unstable so sold the pillar extension and just used the extra height of the tripod plus the SkyTee 2.

Personally I would not take the risk.

I have a Celestron CG5 and a 16" pillar extension and use it with a Giro mount for my ED100. The extension on the CG5 is a bit of an over-kill but remains as part of a mount setup I had with a smaller steel tripod and an AZ4. The pillar and CG5 makes for a  heavy but very stable setup.  My imagination shudders at the thought of a double pillar extension, it would be very heavy. As a matter of interest/experimentation I put the 16" extension on my EQ3/5 aluminium tripod and thats a real no no, as you can see the top of of the tripod flexing.

Measuring the CG5  and pillar extension:  at lowest setting, legs retracted, without extension - 74cm, with extension - 114 cm.; at highest setting legs fully extended, without extension - 127cm,  with extension -167cm.  I've not used the scope at this height, (would need steps!) but it still feels pretty solid.

All that said, to  my mind though you might be better off making a DIY Pier to suit your needs.

Initially I would be wondering about it's stability... but I guess if bolted and fastened properly it would be ok... It is only 10kg that it will be carrying so careful engineering will make it very possible.

Only one way to find out.

Archived