NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scared me to death

Just back from a couple of hours observing in Glen Fruin (near Loch Lomond) - the observing site is up a single track road, next to a small wood. Reasonably clear night, slight breeze (8mph) and a fair bit of light from nearby Glasgow (20 miles away). Good views of M42 at x100-x180. Trapezium looking crisp and bright, lots of nebular detail. Moved over to Saturn - pretty good tonight, with 5 moons showing at x150 (Titan, Iapetus, Rhea, Enceladus and Dione), also clear Cassini division and 2 southern bands + south polar region. Then had a look at M51, M94, M97 and M106.

Was busy burying my face into the 'scope and became aware of some movement off to my side. I looked up and saw two bright yellow eyes looking at me. Now just a minute, I am up a single track road, in a passing place - no houses within a couple of miles - I don't expect an audience - especially with yellow, glowing eyes. I turned on a torch, and there it was, bold as brass - a full grown Fox - sitting calmly ( about 10 feet from me) - just watching me. It wasn't for moving - a bit taken aback, I decided that I was on his patch, so he was entitled to look. I have had bats, owls, rabbits, sheep and cattle, all trying to get close to my 'scope - but a Fox was a new one on me. Handsome looking animal though!

Certainly brightened up this evening.

Tom

Ahh yes, know what you mean. I've had a few nights like that....

Me, the scope & god knows what else out in the depths of a dark sky site. Most things you just hear and never see!!! :shock: :laugh:

Rob

Yeah, You are working away at the eyepiece, minding your own business and suddenly you hear a blood curdling shriek - some poor small furry creature has just been grabbed and ripped to bits a few yards from you. I am glad those nuts who want to release Wolves back into the wild haven''t been allowed to do it yet - otherwise it might be me letting out the shriek - as I get chomped by a pack of Wolves. :laugh:

Tom

Hi Tom i have done a bit of astro work in Glen Douglas a few miles from your site.

I have never had so many cops and army guys stopping to find out what

i was up to.

No animals to date though. less you count the cops :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Jamie,

Glen Douglas is the next Glen north from Glen Fruin. The problem is the proximity of Faslane. Lots of nice nuclear submarines and other high tech military kit. I know a guy who worked there and he said that "anorak" astronomers like you and I really worry them. Are we spying on there latest secret weapon? Almost every time I go to Glen Fruin a police (or military police) landrover cruises past me at 1 mile an hour - giving me a very careful look over. Wish they would turn off their headllights though - ruins the night vision. A couple of weeks ago I got so fed up with this that when it happened a second time in one night, I swore (very loudly) at the passing car and gave a very prominent "V" sign. It was only then I realised it was the local polis - just as well they had a sense of humour.

Incidentally, I have heard that Helensborough AS use Glen Fruin as a dark sky site - never seen them there though.

Hi Twinkletoes - you just take your courage in your hands and try to ignore the "sounds of the night". Just wear brown trousers and use bicycle clips - just like Martin. Having said that, there is nothing quite like a remote site, with no one (you hope) near you, just the sound of the wind in the trees and the babbling of the nearby brook. Quite poetical - amn't I? Think back to the camping days of your youth - camped out in a one man tent in the Highlands - the nearest road 10 miles away over the hills - only the sounds of nature around you. Once you get over the strangeness of it - it can be wonderful

Tom

Fox sightings are fairly rare around here, but I have had raccoons pass within yards of me, and the occasional skunk. They don't bother you if you don't bother them. Actually, a raccoon will only fight when cornered (a big one weighs 25kg, so you don't want to corner one) and a skunk, well.... In the wilds we have coyotes and wild dogs. The wild dogs bother me. I have never had a problem with predators, even in areas where there are bears. They mostly leave people alone. I understand people don't taste very good.

I find apart form the headlights the most annoying thing is when you are trying to do some imaging and they just won't go and leave you to it.

Im all for talking to folk about astronomy but not when

its gonna take me the best part of an hour to get my night vision back.

I never used to be nervous, its one or two of the lads on here, they play terrible practical jokes, I'll never be the same again....

Thats Bad Caz tut tut tut tut :laugh:......

I have a couple of friends who visit me each time i am out imaging/observing Tom and Jerry two cats that come to me for some milk hehe no idea who owns them or there real names but it's a bit of company at 4.00am. Been out and about a few times alone in woods with Binos and it can be creepy but at the same time so peacefull away from city/town life nothing better than sitting or lying down stareing up at the stars without the worry of yobbos comeing along to ruin ya night...

James :laugh:

Sounds like you had a good time, Im off to the Lakes with a mate of mine on friday(Ennadale) staying in a farm house that he lets out taking the 16" dob and the 5" Ap0o hoping for clear skies then off to Cardiff for the football WIGAN V MAN U COME ON YOU BLUES.

My dad told me about this trick to keep your nightvision when your faced with headlights that he learned when on patrol on the army is to cover your 'best' eye if you know a car is coming and uncover it once it's passed, I've never actually had a chance to test it out but it worked for him in the army so it's worth a bash :laugh: Maybe someone can try it out and get back to us.

Cheers

Kyle

Fox sightings are fairly rare around here,

Too bl**dy cold, I should think!!!

The sounds of nature are really spooky at night. Strange how the absence of light changes the sensation and how acute your hearing becomes.

I've had hedehogs and badgers, couple of owls brush my head - never a fox though.

And definitely no skunks.

My dad told me about this trick to keep your nightvision when your faced with headlights that he learned when on patrol on the army is to cover your 'best' eye if you know a car is coming and uncover it once it's passed, I've never actually had a chance to test it out but it worked for him in the army so it's worth a bash :laugh: Maybe someone can try it out and get back to us.

Cheers

Kyle

That makes a great deal of sense. Most of us only use one eye.

I rememberwhen I was still in the army cadets before I went into the army we were away on one of the many carda course camps they used to run back then we were on a night exercise and were pretty dug in in some positions we occupied I was well over to the left flank lying only on a groundsheet it was very quiet at the time when suddenly I felt something some weight not heavy but obvious across my right lower leg I was in a mid straddle position suddenly i felt the weight also on my right lower leg but this time I was sensing movement on there too I realised it was a snake going over my legs I stayed completely still even after it had gone from my body I never moved for ages told the lads about later usual comments of yeah sure and stuff came about I just felt kinda good that it had happened being so in touch with nature I admit it though I was a bit well scared is the wrong word apprehensive would be nearer the mark

Hi Tom i have done a bit of astro work in Glen Douglas a few miles from your site.

I have never had so many cops and army guys stopping to find out what

i was up to.

No animals to date though. less you count the cops :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Jamie, I was speaking to two guys from Helensborough AS on Wednesday evening. One of them told me that the best site in Glen Douglas is the bit at the highest point of the road - about half a mile past the big steep hill that takes you into the Glen from the Loch Lomond side. He said that you come to a bit of the single track road where there is a big passing place on the right (at the highest point). There is a farmers gate that you are allowed to open and go through. The guy said that he drives his car up the track - going up another few hudred feet - half way between the gate and a wood. He parks and observes from there. He says that extra couple of hundred feet drops the horizon to the south by a lot (there is a 1500 foot hillock to the south of the Glen. He also says that the extra few miles from Glasgow and Faslane makes it a very dark site indeed.

I have been as far asd the gate, but am a bit unsure about driving up the rough track, onto the hillside. Have you been up there at all?

Tom

Hi Tom the place that i have done my observing from is quite a ways up the glen.

Its the usual to stop at a place where we can get 3 or 4 cars and all the astro kit set up.

This is kind of hard to explain cos i have only ever been there in the dark.

Its about a mile or so before the cottages that you see further up the glen

and there is a BIG passing on the left coming from Loch Lommond.

This is the place that we use to do our thing.

Hi Jamie, I've only been there once, in the half light, just before it got totally dark. I will take a run up there over the next couple of weeks and do a recce - I need to explore (in the daylight) your and the Helensborough guys sites. I think your site is quite a bit beyond where I stopped.

All the best

Tom

Archived