Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tracker

This is about the cheapest tracking mount and tripod available which will track well enough ( 120s ) for wide field imaging. Not ideal but cheap. Its not equatorial so field rotation would be a factor.

Not sure if the SA would fit the tripod without a wedge or adapter though.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az-goto-mount.html

Or the EQ3-2 with duel axis motors for around $300 which will take scopes and cameras and can be guided, comes with a tripod and will do everything the Star Adventure can.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html  +  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq3-2.html

Nige.

2 hours ago, serbiadarksky said:

After 120s it will start trailing? and how accurate is this? :)

This all depends on a few things with Alt-AZ mounts.

1 how well aligned.

2 altitude of target.

3 Focal length of lens/scope.

With a 50mm lens you should get 120s no problem, with 18mm lens I would say 180 - 200s exposure.

If you are taking multiple shots and stacking them this is where you will see field rotation in the stacked image. Here is a stacked image and final image with about the worst field rotation I have encountered, noticeable by the frame edges which need to be cropped out. The stars and nebula are ok though. This was 60s exposures at 750mm focal length (150mm reflector scope ) on a cheap Alt-AZ mount.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.28eba0313024e21ea9a1d09df0be5d61.jpgm42new.thumb.jpg.ea9a312f3f51e5f25d876a49d997c4ad.jpg

For imaging especially if you intend to take it a step further than wide field I would recommend the equatorial mounts.

Nige.

Just now, Nigel G said:

This all depends on a few things with Alt-AZ mounts.

1 how well aligned.

2 altitude of target.

3 Focal length of lens/scope.

With a 50mm lens you should get 120s no problem, with 18mm lens I would say 180 - 200s exposure.

If you are taking multiple shots and stacking them this is where you will see field rotation in the final image. Here is a stacked image and final image with about the worst field rotation I have encountered, noticeable by the frame edges which need to be cropped out. The stars and nebula are ok though. This was 60s exposures at 750mm focal length (150mm reflector scope ) on a cheap Alt-AZ mount.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.28eba0313024e21ea9a1d09df0be5d61.jpgm42new.thumb.jpg.ea9a312f3f51e5f25d876a49d997c4ad.jpg

For imaging especially if you intend to take it a step further than wide field I would recommend the equatorial mounts.

Nige.

The alt-az mount can handle the star adventurer?

At your stage of equipment buying I would consider buying a camera now.

Learn how to use it and take static photos of the milkyway at wide angle and whilst you learn all about processing save up so you can look at the staradventure or an eq3.

Whilst you can image with an altaz mount there are limitations and seeing as you do not actually yet own any equipment I would spend more time learning and saving.

Just now, happy-kat said:

At your stage of equipment buying I would consider buying a camera now.

Learn how to use it and take static photos of the milkyway at wide angle and whilst you learn all about processing save up so you can look at the staradventure or an eq3.

Whilst you can image with an altaz mount there are limitations and seeing as you do not actually yet own any equipment I would spend more time learning and saving.

But I dont know with what tripod to start and than later i dont want to spend money when i buy the star adventurer but thanks i will remember your words

You can place your camera on a small bean bag as long as it is still and doesn't move and points at the sky it will be stable enough. You could do with an Intervalometer for taking the images with out you pressing the shutter button. I was saying right now don't even buy a tripod you might have a friend or family member you could borrow one from.

The Star adventurer is £200 alone without a tripod and wedge. For £100 more you can get a much more flexible mount with the EQ3-2 and duel motors, this includes the tripod and does not need a wedge.

Think carefully before you commit to buying. :) 

Nige.

4 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

The Star adventurer is £200 alone without a tripod and wedge. For £100 more you can get a much more flexible mount with the EQ3-2 and duel motors, this includes the tripod and does not need a wedge.

Think carefully before you commit to buying. :) 

Nige.

Can you link me that eq3-2 with duel motors please? :)

I have just looked at the prices in the UK and a Star Adventurer bundle is £275 but you need extra for a tripod, the EQ3-2 with a polarscope and single axis motor is £277 and although it can be used with a camera as it is (will need a camera screw to fit to the dovetail bar) the addition of a ball head (about £40) will make framing of the shots a little easier.

Alan

Just now, Alien 13 said:

I have just looked at the prices in the UK and a Star Adventurer bundle is £275 but you need extra for a tripod, the EQ3-2 with a polarscope and single axis motor is £277 and although it can be used with a camera as it is (will need a camera screw to fit to the dovetail bar) the addition of a ball head (about £40) will make framing of the shots a little easier.

Alan

And how long can that track good?

3 hours ago, Nigel G said:

Or the EQ3-2 with duel axis motors for around $300 which will take scopes and cameras and can be guided, comes with a tripod and will do everything the Star Adventure can.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-2-deluxe.html  +  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/dual-axis-dc-motor-drive-for-eq3-2.html

Nige.

Just now, serbiadarksky said:

Its about the same as a Star Adventurer, maybe not quite as good but still plenty for use with a camera and lens but has the advantage of being able to handle bigger loads. I use mine with camera and 200 mm fl lens up to about 120 seconds and also my MAK scope for lunar photography.

Alan

4 minutes ago, serbiadarksky said:

With wide field - 18 - 50mm lens 3 minutes or more is possible, at a later date you can use this for guiding which allows much more.

Archived