Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Adv VX Mount

Going to finally bite the bullet and jump both feet into this astronomy game with a new mount upgrading from my 130SLT.

Would it be worth adding on the StarSense device to aid guiding / aligning, or just do it the normal way?

Thanks.

It depends if you are going to do visual or imaging.  For visual it is very good indeed, and makes alignment with the AVX very simple, particularly as you don't have to identify any stars.  For imaging you can just plate solve and then solve/synch, so it really isn't necessary.  

I only do imaging now so will be selling my Starsense shortly, but when I did visual with my AVX I thought, like many others, it was a great piece of kit.

I have  had AVX mount for the past couple of years and have no hassles with it. If going down the AP route i wouldnt use heavier then a 8" SCT. I now have a 102mm refractor on it now. However i have no issues with this mount

Dean

I recommend to start with the basics, too many gadgets can become cumbersome in my experience... StarSense won't help with guiding, just aligning the scope, but alignment is not hard and it's quite quick, up with in a few minutes once you do it a few times.

When I fitted the polar scope to my AVX I found that one of the latitude adjustment knobs got in the way of actually looking through it. I reckon I'd have needed to fit a 90 degree attachment to the polar scope to be able to use it.

41 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I recommend to start with the basics, too many gadgets can become cumbersome in my experience... StarSense won't help with guiding, just aligning the scope, but alignment is not hard and it's quite quick, up with in a few minutes once you do it a few times.

True..starsense star aligns..

1 hour ago, MARS1960 said:

Polar scope and an eyeball, PA in 5mins :icon_biggrin:.

Polar scope good for general polar alignment. However I couldnt really get a comfortable view of polaris due to location of latitide bolts. This is why i suggested polemaster. More accurate and no crinkly neck :) 

9 hours ago, gonzostar said:

Polar scope good for general polar alignment. However I couldnt really get a comfortable view of polaris due to location of latitide bolts. This is why i suggested polemaster. More accurate and no crinkly neck :) 

I agree, at my age getting in that position wasn't happening without pain in neck/back/side, i ended up buying a used one of these for £20.

nikon.jpg

So...I've gone and done it. Ordered the mount, the wife got sick of me constantly asking for permission and finally just said 'yes, buy the bloody thing!'

1-3 days till delivery, and then looking at the forecast....2-3 weeks until clear skies.!!

Thanks for the help, and will update you when it arrives and i get it aligned. (or, I'll be back asking for more help!!)

Archived