Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Exploring the moon through binoculars

Stu

This seems an appropriate place to post, hopefully!

I picked up four old astronomy books recently for very little money and really enjoyed reading them. I found it helped me to understand just how far we have come in a relatively short space of time.

As a result, I hit the buy button on this nice (and cheap) book which arrived very promptly today. It is in excellent condition, with some lovely old lunar images in it.  What made it very personal was the finding of a date written inside of 28th December 1969. I was just over 20 days old at the time :)

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

Stu

These books can be a great read and as you note an interesting way of seeing how far astronomy and knowledge of space has come within our own lifetimes.
I was born in 1966, so measure time in a similar frame to yourself.

Anyone run across this behemoth on the web: Photographic Lunar Atlas for Moon Observers - Kwok C. Pau? It has 970+ pages of photos from many of the early probes and other survey-craft people sent up there. In other words - images that belong freely to all the taxpayers.

I've never seen it up until I found same floating about freely on a lunar-astronomy website awhile ago. That's why I'm curious about it.

Dave

cover_en.thumb.jpg.d577523293bf1d4b5d72eb2c60c08c98.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/23/2017 at 14:54, Dave In Vermont said:

Anyone run across this behemoth on the web: Photographic Lunar Atlas for Moon Observers - Kwok C. Pau? It has 970+ pages of photos from many of the early probes and other survey-craft people sent up there. In other words - images that belong freely to all the taxpayers.

I've never seen it up until I found same floating about freely on a lunar-astronomy website awhile ago. That's why I'm curious about it.

Dave

cover_en.thumb.jpg.d577523293bf1d4b5d72eb2c60c08c98.jpg

Dave in Vermont,

You sent me looking and found a link to it here at SGL

DLing as I type. TY!

Archived