Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I thought i needed one a few months back. I bought a tiny little one with 4 USB ports. Have not used it since i bought it. Its a Tecknet USB hub. Only cost me 20 quid.

Why have i not used it?. After i ordered it, i found 2 extra USB ports hidden away on the back of my new tv.

The Transcend 4-port USB3 hub is a very good one. Backwards compatible with USB2 of course.
It's 12 volts, so very handy when using 12 v anyway to power other equipment.

I use a powerhub on the telescope and from there feed all equipment, except the mount which is fed separately.
USB hub on the scope as well, so just 2 cables going down. That is for the iOptron, the ASA has internal cabling.

I suspect it depends on the specific task in hand...

I often sense that connectors and connections are a significant issue.
USB was designed for "hot swapping" rather than long-term stability? 
I do get the impression *most* of my "remote control" stuff has now
"bedded-in"! Only took a FEW years of dodgy contacts, "sea air" etc. :p

Using high quaity HUBs and cables reduces the risks significantly. I never had any issues with USB or power.

Just don't try to go cheap on that kind of stuff... that will let you down fast. Use double shielded USB3 cables with gold-plated contacts. They do not corrode.

A good method is to spray all contact surfaces and electronic boards (both sides)  with NanoProtech Electric spray to avoid moisture issues.
The usb connectors on a PC or laptop run through an internal usb hub as well... same goes for mounts with internal cabling.

So the problem lies more with the choice of cables and hub than that it is an intrinsic usb issue. 

Archived