Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Pro and HEQ5

I have an 8 inch Newt, the only thing heavy I hang off it is my DLSR. I've decided to go for a new mount as I was out with the coffee grinder 5 last night (excellent seeing here by the way) and the racket embarrases me to be frank. So, bearing in mind I'm not going to be hanging the Lick Observatory on it, what are the relative merits of the two mounts? I may, repeat may at some time in the distant future maybe get a small Williams to use as a guidescope. This is many years down the line. I may be dead by then. I'm veering towards the 5, on cost and weight terms, although I could afford the 6, but don't want to waste my money on weight capacity that I will never use. Bear in mind that my objective is quietness. I would be grateful for any input.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing,

I've got an 8" reflector with guide scope hanging off an HEQ5 that I use a DSLR with for imaging and it handles it all fine. If you're sure you never going to get anything heavier (scope) then the HEQ5 will see you right. If you're not sure then get the EQ6 IMHO. :clouds2:

Sam

I concur with what KK, Blinky and John have said. I've hung a 66 and a 200mm newt with w/cam and DSLR on my HEQ5 Pro -been fine ! And quiet !!!

If, like myself you know you're not going to go any larger/heavier then you will OKAY !!

As for people selling up for EQ6's- astrophotography with bigger gear.

Karlo

Go for a second hand HEQ5 pro, then if you decide to upgrade later you won't loose much if anything.

Ian

Good Idea !

Yes, it does look that way. You don't see many EQ6s for sale. As they say in America "pre-owned".

John

There was/is a EQ6 Pro on Astro Buy & Sell today. £600+ As new apparently.

Ron.

!

Well there's not much between the two there (approx'£100) and they rarely come up 2nd H, ummm

Hi,

I have both Heq5 Pro and EQ6 Pro. There are a lot of similarities between them. Tracking wise, I can see absolutely NO difference in their ability, the EQ6 is just heavier and can handle a heavier load. The EQ6 also seems to drain my power pack quicker than my HEQ5.

If you put the mount to bed every night, then you may find the EQ6 a bit heavy. The tripod is significantly more robust, and the mount head itself is heavier too. I bought the EQ6 after the HEQ5 because I kept loading it with extra weight, but to be frank, I'm not sure I need have bothered.

As for noise, I would say that my EQ6 is a tiny bit louder than the HEQ5, but then it is carrying a heavier load. By all means, if you are in the vicinity, come and have a play with them side by side, (I'm in Coventry) and see the real differences, I'd be happy to let you compare and contrast them in daylight!!

I am thinking of selling the HEQ5. I haven't had it a year, and it has been used only a few times, I bought it Nov/Dec I think from FLO and bought an EQ6 in april (Kelling), so just count the clear nights in that period. There is some pics of it here;

http://ukastronomers.com/Tim/action/download_files/fileid/45

At £475 it is perhaps slightly more (£25?) than the others out there, but then it is in better condition, and has a dedicated ABS case for the mount head. The Hand held computer bit that does the magic has NEVER been used, I simply swapped the original from the HEQ5 to my EQ6, as it had all my settings in. I haven't pushed for a sale because I may yet keep the thing, it is certainly easier to work with than the EQ6, and just as accurate, if not slightly more so. Like I say though, if you want to come over and get a feel for both mounts, I'd be more than happy, you could even try your kit on them etc if needs be. Just drop me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers

TJ

Archived