NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Safe removal of a heavy camera

When I purchased my new camera (Moravian G2-8300) I did the right thing imaging wise and opted for a fully screwed together optical train. What I didn't foresee as a set up and take down imager is just how tricky it is unscrewing a bulky heavy camera off the end of the focuser when I'm tired and doing everything in haste to pack it all away.

Only solutions  I can come up with is lift the scope and camera still attached off the mount and take it inside, then dismantle in the relative safety of the kitchen table, or purchase a bayonet adapter for the camera so the point at which gravity takes over is a bit more predictable. I suppose I could resort back to extension tubes and hold the camera with the  locking ring  but I have visions of it coming loose and dropping on the floor (aaaagh!), it's a heavy piece of kit compared to my old camera.

Proper answer I know is to leave it all set up, if only.

I'd go for this option, only I would choose something softer that it can't roll off. 

the scope and camera still attached off the mount and take it inside, then dismantle in the relative safety of the kitchen table

1 hour ago, tomato said:

I can come up with is lift the scope and camera still attached off the mount and take it inside,

If you can carry it connected why not leave it on. Less chance of damage and no dirt or moisture getting in etc.

Regards Andrew

Just so.

Leave the camera and its optical train on the 'scope then everything stays as it was, no change in focus or orientation so no need for new flats. Less chance of dust getting in too.

It would help if we knew what kit you were using.

It's on the end of an Altair 102mm refractor fitted with field flattener.

I cannot bring the whole thing inside, it's on a heavy weight steel pier tripod that stays outside and a Mesu 200, which is feat in itself putting that back in it's case.

The other problem is I have limited storage space and the scope has to go back in it's flight case, and of course it won't fit in with flattener and camera attached.

Careful disassembly on the table with a soft cushion underneath will have to be the way to go for now, I think.

And while I'm on such a big downer, how long before I cross thread the adapter I wonder? 

I know, I know, I have totally the wrong kit for a portable set up,  but at the time I was totally focused on what makes a stable rig, so set up practicalities went out the window.

What's the saying "act in haste, repent at your leisure", or something like that, it only took me 4 months to decide which scope and mount to buy......

Thanks DaveS for the suggestion, I have one of these covers but I just cannot bring myself to entrust my rig to just that level of protection.

My brother is going to machine up a slip ring that will fit in front of the flattener and this will be attached to the camera using the tripod thread built into the casing.  By unscrewing the camera with the Dec axis horizontal even if I do loose it then it will just swing free and not hit the pier.

Roll on retirement and a permanent observatory.

I have to unscrew and screw my G2-8300 on everytime I setup.

It can be a little nerve racking but I have a foam mat on my imaging table which I can place it though usually I just transfer the camera straight to its flight case.
I have considered removing the OTA and camera as one but then I would have an even heavier (not to mention even more expensive) bulk to place somewhere. Moving the whole mount with everything attached would be an even more insane idea...:shocked:
I have seen people attach casters to their mounts which allows them to slide the whole setup into a garage, shed or house, but I suspect like me this is not feasible.

Also I don't fancy it laying it down with items attached as it will place unnecessary strain on the threaded connections.

Not keen on having to remove it but for me its the best option and not had any issues with cross threading (yet)...

I find it extremely difficult to get cameras on and off telescopes and so I avoid it if possible.  If I was setting up and tearing down every night, I think I would try to find a way of leaving the camera on the scope (there are so many advantages to that).  Is there really no way you could keep telescope with camera attached ... on top of a wardrobe maybe ... ???

On 04/07/2017 at 18:55, tomato said:

I know, I know, I have totally the wrong kit for a portable set up,  but at the time I was totally focused on what makes a stable rig, so set up practicalities went out the window.

Ah, now there you are wrong! You have the right gear for the job in hand - accurate tracking, stability sensible FOV - all you need is the work-around for assembly and dismantling. If you absolutely cannot keep the camera attached to the telescope (the best solution) then dismantling in the relative safety of the kitchen table is the best option although personally, I'd place it on the kitchen table, go to bed and then take it apart in the morning when you are refreshed and the dew has gone.

Thanks Steppenwolf for the encouraging words, as you say I don't think I have compromised on the equipment at all, although I do need to make it all work as it should and get some images worthy of it!

The quick release couplings are certainly an idea, maybe not as solid a connection as the screwed connection but much more predictable when dismantling.

Anyway I should get my safety retaining device today so we'll se how that goes.

I'm a big fan of leaving my scope and camera connected. I know you said storage is an issue so how about getting a new flight case? Mine cost me around £30 and is big enough to store all my equipment and leads. 

Here's a pic of it, I'll try and find the link to where I bought it from.

DSC_0335.JPG

DSC_0337.JPG

Archived