Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

150pl - is it really an apo killer?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back on topic though if it's an "apo killer" sorry Olly and as reliable as a frac wouldn't all astrophotographers use one as well as visual?.The threads I've read seems to me that most people use a frac for the "dark arts" so there must be a reason for this.I think it boils down to which scope suits your needs quickly and reliably every time.

2 hours ago, triton1 said:

"Chortle?"This site is such a mine of information it's unbelievable I seem to be getting edification every day even when going off topic a tad.

I was hoping it would be useful to actually show what a 150PL can do, especially matched with other budget gear. If you can afford a 150mm apo scope you won't  be imaging using an old Canon!

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was hoping it would be useful to actually show what a 150PL can do, especially matched with other budget gear. If you can afford a 150mm apo scope you won't  be imaging using an old Canon!

Neil, indeed you did. Thank you.

Thanks Neil for the hands on. My contribution: Dim object, dslr, 26º ambient, 36º sensor with my -new to me- Bresser nt150. I like the idea that galaxies are a decent size rather than a fuzzy patch. Would cooling it reduce the noise? I'm beginning to accept that maybe heat makes more noise. How would I cool it? Or would I buy a cooled osc instead? TIA.

101.thumb.jpg.4505233437e2461d1e205a5975692b98.jpg

On 6/22/2017 at 12:59, ollypenrice said:

I'm sorry my intended joke derailed the conversation.

Olly

I found your post:

1. Funny (on a cheeky side).

2. Interesting (as wow what a picture).

I don't get that "apo killer" thing. The phrase alone speaks tones. It sets apochromatic refractors as a benchmark, doesn't it? And I guess for a reason.

Currently I'm a Newtonian sort of guy, bang for bucks (main reason), tinkering (I like it, I collimate my scope to death, I find it slightly upsetting if it's rainy and my scope is bang on collimated) and aperture fever - all these simptoms cured by a newt on gem. 

Yet.

in a long run, and you must take this game on long terms, I think, I will definitely acquire two refractors (one will be ed80, I must know what all the fuss is about, and a TAK), a maksutov, a sct, a mak-newt and TAL. I will keep them peacefully together, no killings under my watch! :D 

I find all that newt vs refractors hype slightly silly. But informative when top guys are arguing :) 

Archived