NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

June 15 First Light SC filter Lunt Wedge- and some LS60THa

Tyson M

Hello all! 

This run was quite possibly my best set of solar images to date, including testing out new gear, an Antares 0.5x focal reducer, a 1.25" Lunt Hershel Wedge with 1.25" Baader Solar Continuum filter, all captured with an ASI224MC.

Despite having to dodge clouds and equipment problems, I came out with a very nice set. I wasn't planning on even imaging, but the views were so good i got excited and set everything up.

The full disk Ha images have some artifacts in two spots. This was where two branches moving gently in the wind obstructed my scope. Those will not be present in future shots.

I could not get full disks with the reducer and Equinox 80mm w/ wedge. Not enough in focus with the tall female opening tube. I will need a larger chip like the 174mm I think at a future time.

The views through the Equinox 80mm and Lunt were unlike any white light set up I have seen so far. I had a Baader filter 8" on a newtonian with my firs scope, but this is clearly better. More 3D looking, and seeing the graunlation and faculae were a treat.

The Ha are very special to me. The views through the LS60Tha are great. The scope has exceeded my expectations and more. Always ready to go, fantastic for grab and go and imaging. As expensive as a Tak and can only look at one object, but it does a phenomenal job at it. A real joy to use and totally worth the money.

This is my last run with the AS224MC for solar imaging. I tried to use my ASI120mm usb 3.0 yesterday but in a hurry and forgot I needed to install camera drivers...doh. I installed the driver first thing today.

Comments , critique welcome

Thanks for looking/reading

190817184750filgimp184750.5184657invert2rs62182453invert2182453hist

Thanks all. 

Funny thing now is I think that may not be from the branches. I thought I cleared those and the artifact goes around the periphery of the full disk. It might be field curvature, as the Antares is not a flatter. Hmm

Archived